1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY USB cable

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by HMHB, Jun 6, 2003.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    Does anyone know how to construct a USB cable ? I'm trying to get a 20 metre cable without having to buy four 5 metre repeater cables (about 20 or so quid each). I thought I may be able to just cut the webcam cable halfway along and insert a long piece between them but I'm not sure of the cable contruction required

2. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    AFAIK, you can't take a USB signal over more than 5m without affecting the signal/power levels ... that's why the only option is 5m repeater cables.

Saying that, I've tried 2 x 5m repeater cables for a requried 10m run and I'm having trouble getting my HTPC to recognise any device plugged in!

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i currently run a 5 metre connection to my printer, and that's ropey at times, i'm pretty sure it's the USB that's the problem. 20metres as far as i know with no repeaters is a big no no.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    mmmm I was sort of expecting this answer ! I've managed to track down some 5 metre repeaters at £12 each but I think I may come unstuck joining 4 of them together. Unless you can stick a powered hub at the end of the 4 repeaters !