1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Tempest sub (AdireAudio Alignment one)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Peter O Sullivan, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I am going to order my Tempest (15" driver) within the next few days and a Parts Express 250watt plate amp, I will start the MDF cutting any day soon to be ready for the sub. I done up a drawing of the sub in SolidWorks (if any of ye recognise this piece of software, its excellent). It is a copy of the AdireAudio alignment one that they have on their site.
    I decided to convert all those old American measurements to something that will suit us metric people. Some of the measurements were rounded off to suit us but nothing that will have a effect, a few milimeters here and there.

Just click on the link below to get the drawings of each part.

Hope this will entise a few more people to go the DIY style.
    I am sure this sub will work out very well since everyone over on the HomeTheaterForum thinks its excellent.

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/pos143/

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hmm this is interesting stuff. I might have a play around. Tell us how it goes mate :)

Dave

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Peter,

You can buy excellent plate amps here in England, no need to import a Parts Express amp.

http://www.bkelec.com/DIY.htm

I read somewhere that this company makes the Amps for Rel, not sure if this is true though.

I have planned to build a tempest DIY sub for ages, just never get round to it...........

Good luck,

Mark.

4. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replys,
    Mark
    I was on their site before but since I live in Ireland, one of those countries with the Euro, it will end up saving me near 100Euro if I import from America with the exchange rates at the moment.
    Hopefully nothing will go wrong with it, I don't want to be shipping stuff to and from America the whole time.

Before some one tells me, I did leave out one picture of a part of the box which was the top, the measurents are the same as bottom, 550*550mm but without the cutouts.

5. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Looks like you're building a mother of a sub. I built one myself last year to a similar size, but it was a sealed version.

It gives excellent performance for the cost, but alas it is not now suited to being taken to Uni with me so has had to be dismantled.

I ran my Tempest on an Arcam P75 power amp, direct from the sub pre-out on my Denon AVR 2800 receiver.

I did have some pics on the Yahoo HomeCinemaChat UK but they went when it became a group or summit. I would post some from my other PC but it's got a virus, so I cannot.

Good luck.

Make sure all your bits fit together properly before you stick anything. Everything must be airtight, or it won't sound great.