DIY Surrounds!!!??!!

[email protected]

Hi Chaps im embarking on another DIY speaker build, the plan is to make them look like XTZ style but using car audio drivers. the question is which wiring diagram is best. plan A or plan B? theres two drivers per speaker, it will be connected to my pioneer sc-lx81.

speaker specs:

Frequency Response: 100Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 4 ohms
Max Power: 150w
Mounting depth: 43mm
RMS Power: 50w
Sensitivity: 90dB
Speaker size: 4" (10cm)
Type: 3 Way Triaxial

diy1.png

diy2.png

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Can we assume the diagrams reflect a single speaker system. That is, these are the drivers in a single speaker box?

If this is one box, the they must be in Series which is Plan B.

The total impedance of Plan A, assuming all in one box, is 2 ohms. No amp you will ever encounter will tolerate a 2 ohm load.

Plan B take two 4 ohm drivers and puts them in series for a total of 8 ohms. This is a acceptable impedance for a AV amp.

Speakers in Parallel (Plan A) divide -

Rt= R1/n

Where -

Rt is the Total Impedance

R1 is the Impedance of one speaker

n is number of speaker

Speakers in Series add -

Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 ... +Rn

Again, specifically what your diagrams are indicating is unclear. But if we assume each diagram equals one speaker box of a pair of stereo speaker boxes, then you need to use Plan B.

Steve/bluewizard

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Why the desire to build you own? Is it to save money or for the challenge?
Why use car drivers? They tend to not be the best quality and not designed for the home environment. You may be better getting some proper AV drivers instead.
Speaker manufacturers spend huge amounts of money to get their designs right. You need to consider things like enclosure size/dimensions, interactions between the 2 drivers and crossover design (to name but a few). If you get these wrong then you can end up with some very bad sounding speakers. You can buy speaker designs which will help things as these should sound pretty good.
With speakers like Wharfedale Diamonds selling for low prices this may be a better option.

[email protected]

Can we assume the diagrams reflect a single speaker system. That is, these are the drivers in a single speaker box?

If this is one box, the they must be in Series which is Plan B.

The total impedance of Plan A, assuming all in one box, is 2 ohms. No amp you will ever encounter will tolerate a 2 ohm load.

Plan B take two 4 ohm drivers and puts them in series for a total of 8 ohms. This is a acceptable impedance for a AV amp.

Speakers in Parallel (Plan A) divide -

Rt= R1/n

Where -

Rt is the Total Impedance

R1 is the Impedance of one speaker

n is number of speaker

Speakers in Series add -

Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 ... +Rn

Again, specifically what your diagrams are indicating is unclear. But if we assume each diagram equals one speaker box of a pair of stereo speaker boxes, then you need to use Plan B.

Steve/bluewizard
well in my opening i said there would be two drivers per speaker "ie box". plan B it is then, many thanks.

Why the desire to build you own? Is it to save money or for the challenge?
Why use car drivers? They tend to not be the best quality and not designed for the home environment. You may be better getting some proper AV drivers instead.
Speaker manufacturers spend huge amounts of money to get their designs right. You need to consider things like enclosure size/dimensions, interactions between the 2 drivers and crossover design (to name but a few). If you get these wrong then you can end up with some very bad sounding speakers. You can buy speaker designs which will help things as these should sound pretty good.
With speakers like Wharfedale Diamonds selling for low prices this may be a better option.

to be honest the answer to all your questions is that i like a challenge, i have four 4" drivers laying about, and not overly keen on the look of other surrounds. so why not?! only around 5 percent of a film is sent to the rear channels so it wont be the end of the world. i made a diy sub woofer and that turned out to be amazing.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/diy-subwoofer-build/1427200-another-diy-cylinder-subwoofer.html

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Good luck with the build and let us know how it turns out (with pics).

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Interesting!

I started making some tower speakers but never got to finish them before moving to Spain, and I always want to get back to them. I'll be watching this with interest. Whats the drivers?

[email protected]

Interesting!

I started making some tower speakers but never got to finish them before moving to Spain, and I always want to get back to them. I'll be watching this with interest. Whats the drivers?

hey moonlfly, i have some Fli 4" drivers which sound quite crisp so im gonna give them ago as there just laying around and replacing them would be easy. they also have the tweeter in the centre of the driver not unlike the KEFs. at 150 watts each it will make 300 watts per surround which will match the XTZ fronts.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Wow, really impressed with this. I thought about doing something similar a few years back since PMC don't make bi/dipole surrounds, but it seemed a shame to chop up some £300 speakers as I'm no carpenter. Following this with interest. :thumbsup:

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Wow, really impressed with this. I thought about doing something similar a few years back since PMC don't make bi/dipole surrounds, but it seemed a shame to chop up some £300 speakers as I'm no carpenter. Following this with interest. :thumbsup:

You could e-mail PMC and let them know what you want to do, and ask them if they could sell you some suitable matching driver directly. Most companies are fairly good when it comes to things like this, and raw drivers are usually much cheaper than you would ever expect.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Thanks Moonfly: I cheated and bought some PMC Wafer 1 speakers from the classifieds a couple of weeks back. They aren't bi/dipole, but good non the less. If I waited to build the surrounds as the OP has done then I might be too old and deaf to appreciate them. :D

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton