1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

diy subwoofer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by banners, Jun 26, 2002.

1. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    hi, i've a question of which any help would be appreciated! i'm looking to build a sub using modules from bk electronics, which would be better :(a) sub bass controller and mf 200 amp or (b) the bsb 200w unit. The unit(s) do not have to be enclosed in the sub case. also any ideas for a 10" sub in a sealed box around 50 - 100 litres would also appreciated. room is 10' x 12'. the sub will be used as much for music as dvd viewing. many thanks in advance :confused:

2. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  3. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hi banners

If you're going to be connecting at low (phono) level just use the MF module and forget about the bass controller. Let your receiver manage the crossover & levels.
    If you want to connect at high (speaker) level then you will need also need the bass controller or a plate amp. The MF amps modules spec higher than the plate amps.

Regarding the sub. I suggest not using a 10" and going with a Shiva (12")from Adire Audio.. A 10" just can't move enough air. You haven't got any major enclosure size restrictions so it's a no brainer. If you've got no size restristions at all, then get a Tempest(15"). :)

Have a read of the Shiva application notes here.

There's plans for an 88.5 litre sealed.

I also suggest looking into the vented designs.
    Mine's in the 142.5 EBS vented enclosure, tuned to 18 Hz (powered using the MF300). I highly recommend it if you've got the space.

Gary Griffiths garyg@adireaudio.co.uk (I think that was address) was the UK dealer but he's not listed on the dealer page anymore.

I imported mine from the US. So there's no problem getting one.

Cheers
    Boris

4. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanks for the advice chaps!
    i initially considered the ipl acoustics route, but decided there is enough info on the web to attempt my own design.
    ramius/boris, read past threads and you've used the amp & bass controller module from bk electronics, thinking that way my self. you mention soldering - what? also what did you house the modules in:confused:

cheers steve

5. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Sorry about the late reply, I missed this.

I don't use the Bass Controller anymore, just the amp. My LFE goes directly in, no volume pot or anything.
    I let my receiver does all the controlling.

The amp is very 'raw'. The signal inputs and speaker outputs have to be soldered. Not difficult.

My amp isn't 'housed', just hidden away out of sight behind equipment.

Cheers
    Boris

6. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    thanx for the advice boris. already took the plunge though! the modules arrived today and are currently in action. theyre pretty good to my ears! i've used the sub controller 'cos i need to input a hi level signal.
    cheers - a verrrrrrrry impressed steve
    ;)

7. homethx

homethx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I was going to use two 10"bsb speakers and a omp 1000 amp :D and bass controller. what size box do you think i need . thanks

8. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    These speakers are suitable for a 1 cu ft enclosure and would normaly be driven below resonance, so I expect an enclosure of 2 to 3 cu ft would suffice. I do feel though that a lot of the power would be used to drive the extremely stiff rubber suspensions and heavy cones.

You could possibly design a lower power yet higher SPL sub woofer by choosing more sensitive loudspeakers the BSBL 500 loudspeakers are only 95 dB 1W/1M.

If you are after using BK as a one stop shop then they do have a 10" 00 drive unit with a long throw and an SPL of 90dB called the BX 10. Using 2 of these and either a 450W module or a BSB500 will give you higher SPL's, also I think the Fs is lower too.

If you decide to look around for drive units I'm sure the other forum members have some good ideas.

9. homethx

homethx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    thanks for the reply ,yeah your right i need a one stop shop.I will have to learn all this diy speak :confused: