Question DIY subwoofer built into the wall

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by Col1971, Jun 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Col1971

Col1971
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, Newbie when it comes to diy subwoofers and was hoping I could get some guidance on whether a diy solution would be a viable possibility for me.
    Ultimately I want a discrete subwoofer pair to compliment some on wall stereo speakers that will be used for music and to enhance the sound of the tv. The music performance must be low distortion although i still want to be able to feel explosions in movies. My idea was to have a small pair of subwoofers either side of the tv facing the main listening position. MLP is 4 meters away from the front wall in a room that is 6mx4m.
    I already have an arcam stereo that outputs to a subwoofer and will do eq along with a pair of mk 150 speakers from my original full av set up that I will most likely replace with the modern equivalent of them inwall. I have had the opportunity to use a mk x12 subwoofer and a b&w pv1 which i don't own but gave me some idea of the performance I want.
    The x12 performance was fine with music and movies but surprisingly did not blow me away. It will not fit in with the look of the finished room and at 3k I cant see the value so I will not be breaking my budget for one (certainly not two)
    The pv1 was actually not too bad at all with music but lacked the output and depth I was hoping for but would be ok to have in view. I could try two but at 2400 would be over budget and I am still doubtful it will have the output from 20 to 100 I want.
    The other reference I have is my old svs pc ultra I use in my current cinema room. Amazing for movies and anywhere near that deep tactile output for movies would be beyond what I expect but it just doesn't quiet do music right for my taste even after eq.
    I have inquired about inwall subs from a couple of dealers and there indication is they will not match in room subs.
    My idea is that we can accommodate two 'boxes' in each corner that will effectively be an extension to the wall (plasterboard and painted to match front walls). Size wise its the depth that is the issue. I would not want it much more than 30 cm deep although it can be wider and taller (60 cm). They will be sunk into the plasterboard so there is a small size gain there but no more than the depth of the baffel/rear panel i suspect.
    The amplification can go in the garage that is on the other side of the brick wall along with the rest of the 'rack' so a pa amp is not an issue at all.
    For the amp and drivers I would be happy to spend 1000 but would up that to 1500 depending on the value to performance I would gain. The cabinet will be done by a joiner as part of the further building we are having so i just need to worry about design, parts and wiring.
    The building work is scheduled for September so any parts need to be available by then and imports to the UK will need the duty paying.
    A sanity check for this idea would be very much appreciated

2. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,416
    no issues sticking the sub in the wall from performance point of view, the only risks is the absolutely fixed positioning so it would be worth taking some measurements in advance to verify the combination works well. A room sim should be good enough if the room is a regular shape though.

3. Col1971

Col1971
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Matt, I took these measurement with the MK which is my benchmark for performance. A beginner with rew but used the umik with hdmi so seemed pretty idiot proof(but....) I took measurements at the recommended 75db (-42 on amp)and also at 100db which equals (-15 on amp ) which is as high as it would normally go for movies (less for music). There is a measurement for both corners and they were very similar. Only reason for the front corners is cosmetic and I like the idea of having stereo subs at the front just because i could be crossing over 80-100 because of using inwall mains.

Attached Files: