DIY Sub In False Wall???

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by simonlpearce, Sep 11, 2012.

1. simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok let me try and explain this a little. I have recently built a false wall/chimney to house my TV and AV equipment. Anyhow the long and short of it is i have a massive space above my TV in which, potentially, i could build some DIY sub enclosures. Pictures below should give you an idea of the sort of size were talking about...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the second picture i am currently using a q-acoustic sub which, whilst good, i feel could pack a little more punch. From pic 1 you should be able to see that i have ample space either side of the centre to potentially stick in 2 BIG subs.

I also potentially have an amp which could power them, spec as follows...

Power : 230Vac / 50Hz
    Output power : 4 Ohms 2 x 750W
    Frequency response : 20Hz - 20kHz
    Input : 775mV
    THD : <0.5%
    Signal to noise ratio : >95dB
    Crosstalk : >82dB - 1kHz
    Impedance : >4 Ohm
    Input impedance : 10K Ohm min
    Dimensions : 482 x 270 x 88mm (19" x 2U)
    Weight : 5.1 kg

So there's my idea, what i need help with is turning it into reality. It would need to be relatively WAF friendly of course as its in a prominent position, but im sure a few cleverly placed speaker grills could do the job.

So idea's on subs and enclosures to suit my amp would be great. Price wise i haven't a clue but definitely no more than £400-£500ish...

2. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    I would say it's absolutely a possibility. You have 2 good looking cubes either side of the opening in the centre. What are their dimensions?

One point I feel I need to make. Your centre speaker is way too high. Youy should have it as close to inline with the left and rights as possible. I would definitely look at moving that to below the TV, and if need be, put one of the AV boxes above instead.

3. simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    At a guess I'd say around 50cm x 80cm x 50cm deep, can get proper measurements if needed when I get home...

4. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    That gives you an easy pair of sealed subs at around 130ltrs each. There's bound to be a 15" driver that would work brilliantly in an enclosure that size.

You could do with a bit more amplifier power to make them really sing though, luckily the likes of the Behringer EP2500 is pretty cheap. And could potentially be mounted behind the TV within the wall!

5. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    FYI, I have a single 15" sub in a sealed 85ltr enclosure, powered by a Behringer EP2500 that easily gives me BK Monolith beating performance.

6. simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What sub have you got then? I haven't a clue what I would need or where to get it from...

7. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Mine is a DIY sub, built for me by Moonfly (a prominent member in the DIY subwoofer forums, and a bit of a guru on the subject).

I'll find the build thread and link it below.

Here you are http://www.avforums.com/forums/diy-subwoofer-build/1169697-sealed-av15-x-build.html

The build process is surprisingly simple, especially if you are going to essentially hide them within a wall. The finishing part was by far the trickiest part of my build.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  8. simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that, I will look into what I can do n have a good read of some build threads to get some ideas.

No doubt I will be back on with more questions in the near future!

9. M87NER

M87NER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    just make sure if you do go for this idea that you make good brackets or fixing points for these enclsures as they can be heavy, 30kg+ each. depending on size of woofer and materials use,

10. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    I was going to recommend that you should aim to not have them touching your existing wall, but just to have them within it, and use some covers to hide them.

11. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    You should probably look at the Fi Q range here Q SERIES or the cheaper SSD Series

The SSD seems more in line with your budget, you could certainly make 1 sub, but I'm not sure how you'll get on putting it up above the TV. It looks like a more realistic option to put it on the floor either to the left or right of your central opening. The 15" SSD should be at home in a 110 liter enclosure. Use this calculator to see what dimensions you'll need for this. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/

Remember, it doesn't really matter what shape the box is, as long as one of the faces with hold the driver, and it's deep enough to mount the driver into, the rest of the box can be made any shape you like, just to make up the volume.

Grab one of the Behringer EP2000s to power it and Robert's your Father's Brother.
    Here's the amp for £200. http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Behringer-EP2000-Europower~ID~10919.asp

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  12. simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Having thought about this a little more i think i have decided that ti may not be the best idea to stick some subs into these voids. As far as a concept goes i really would like to do it, but as were not likely to stop in this house forever it seems it could be a waste.

Instead i think i may look at building a coffee table with 2 x down firing 15's. That way i can bring it with me when i move house.

Though i will probably have to wait a few months before i can look into getting tooling etc as money is tight with the redecorating and it doesnt help when you stick a chisel through a water pipe, lol.

13. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Sounds like a plan. Perhaps a single 18" driver would work better. It would certainly be cheaper and simpler than 2 15s. Have a look at my recent thread, I'm building 2 single 18" boxes for a friends basement room.

Again, I reckon the Fi SSD range or the Q range are where to look for drivers, and behringer amps for power. You could try the Behringer iNuke range which may be quiet enough to build into a box with the sub. The EP2500 is too loud for me to have i the same room, even though I have swapped the fan for a quieter one.

14. s_inman

s_inman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Definaty recommend the FI SSD drivers, I've got the 18" version and the sound output it's leaps ahead of its price!

15. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Thanks for the input. What kind of enclosure have you used?

16. s_inman

s_inman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Have a look at my build (link in my sig) has all the build info in for the sub :).

It's worth pointing out the 18" drivers require a much larger box that the 15" equivalent :).

Some pictures before I built the enclosure, it's rather large!

Attached Files:

17. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Your box isn't that big! It's "only" 165ltrs ;) . I've just made a pair of 250ltr boxes for a pair of Fi Q18s. Is it right that the SSD Series work better in the smaller boxes, as I have been lead to believe that 250ltrs is the sweet spot for the Qs.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  18. simonlpearce

simonlpearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jesus that is a rather large sub! Will have a read of your build shortly.