DIY Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by activexp, Feb 1, 2009.

1. activexp

activexp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I recently purchased some IPL Acoustics transmission line speaker kits to replace 30 year old IMF Super Compacts.

Anyone interested in taking the DIY route might like to look at my review here:

Home ‎(stevesstuffproject‎)

2. reaper12

reaper12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Well done, interesting project. I don't think I would be good enough at soldering to make the crossovers though.

The prices are very good too. What's the sound quality like? And what would you compare them to?

They would certainly tempt me if I was going to go for a hi fi system, heck they might tempt me anyway :)

3. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Nice work! Not sure I could tackle something like that (I'd struggle with the glue, let alone the solder), but an interesting insight anway. Thank you for taking the trouble to share it.

Chris

4. activexp

activexp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the feedback :) Think of the soldering as a challenge - there's one simple rule to follow. Place the soldering iron on the joint and then apply the solder until it flows. Never put the solder on the iron first and then try and transfer the blob to the joint.

As for the sound quality, I only have my old IMF's to compare - no contest! The IPL's are clean and open with a solid bass that sometimes takes me by surprise, never boxy or boomy. Colouration is very low with an almost total absence of listening fatigue no doubt due to the sweet little ribbon tweeter.

For anyone who wants boom boxes these speakers aren't for them.

5. activexp

activexp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :)

I'm wondering if there's anything to be gained from bi-wiring them. That is taking a second set of speaker leads from my Denon amp and removing the links on the speaker terminal panels. So I'd have a pair of leads connected straight to the tweeter and a pair straight to the woofer inputs.

I think I'll have to do some experimenting........

6. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    IMHO Biwiring No, Biamping yes.:smashin:

7. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi,

Thanks for posting this - it's really got me thinking! I've just ordered a new AV receiver and am researching and trying to shortlist speaker upgrades as well. I'd not even thought about the build it yourself approach and am glad you've brought this up.

I did an A-level Design/Tech course with my final project being self build speakers (I even hand built the crossovers from scratch. They didn't work very well ;) ) They were made from MDF with lovely stainless fronts and sides in what can only be described as an aquired taste in design!

I'll have to dig out my old loudspeaker design books again!