DIY speakers.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andyturner28, Aug 15, 2006.

1. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well sort of DIY;)

I have just replaced the drive unit's in an old pair of Kenwood rear channel speakers with some Pioneer TSE1390 car speakers to use in my bedroom. Nobody on these forums wanted to buy them off me and i was bored this evening, so decided to do the swap for the hell of it. (might as well make use of them if i can't sell them) They actually sound prety good, better in fact than the full size Kenwoods that are in our living room. I was just wondering if i could improve the bass by porting them at the rear and purchasing some mini flowport's, or lining the inside with foam. They sound bassy enough already but as they are currently in a sealed enclosure the driver is not moving as much as when they were in my car.

And before anyone says that i will burn out the voicecoil by running 4ohm speakers off an 8ohm amp, I KNOW. I could't even sell them for £20 so it was either do this or throw them out as otherwise they were completely useless to me.

Cheers,

Andy.

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    What amp is that mate?
    I reckon they'll go a few hz lower if you port them :smashin:
    Just bang a couple of 2" holes in will give you a clue

3. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am only using an old Kenwood pro logic amp in my bedroom. Came as part of a complete system about 10 years ago. I have a home cinema/media room next door so it is just for listening to music in bed via my MP3 player. I wish i hadn't sold my NAD C370 now though, that really kicked ass, but i needed the dough for my new PJ.

I was going to drill the holes tomorrow anyway, just thought i would get an opinion of wheather it would achieve anything first. Do you know if Maplins do port tubes? Also you suggested 2 holes. Dose this reduce port noise over a single hole. I don't really want to spend too much on these concidering i was going to give them away untill i came up with this hairbrained idea.

On a completely separate note and to avoid starting another thread. I have a pair of Mission 773E's and am concidering getting a couple of tiles to stand them on to isolate them from downstairs, as the floorboards aint too chunky and a lot of noise travels downstairs when the volume is cranked up. Would this work or would it be a waste of money?

Cheers,

Andy.

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
  5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    I'd try a 2" hole and see if you get any improvement. If you do, then buy the port tubes.
    Of course it could all go pear shaped,depending on the design, but you've nothing to lose if you were going to sling them anyway. I would expect them to go lower, but they may become flabby and slow. It would at least make an interesting experiment.

As for the tiles, maybe you could get your hands on a couple of paving slabs and a bit of old carpet freeby, before laying out money???
    Again a cheap method of experimentation :smashin:

6. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    If they're 4 ohm and your amp is supposed to run down only to 8 ohm, it's very likely you'll damage your amp, which I'm guessing is worth way more than the £20 for these speakers,

How about making a centre speaker with both drive units inside wired in series. That way you'll get 8 ohm impedence and a new centre speaker without risk to your amp.

Just a thought.

Dan.

7. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The amp probably isn't worth that much more than £20, considering what you can get on the secondhand market these days. It was also sitting around taking up valuable floor space.

I might try a reclamation yard for a couple of old tiles. What do you rekon. about 1" thick. I have loads of carpet left over from decorating my cinema room.

Oh and thanks for the Maplins link. I will give that a go tonight.

Cheers,

Andy.

8. Tafflad

Tafflad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There are plenty of free software programmes that will design the correct size of port and the length of it for you .. I wrote a simple paper on the maths involved many years ago ... (you can have a copy if you want) but the free programmes are a thousand times easier to use.

9. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks Tsfflad but these are only cheap speakers that i was going to give away untill yesterday, so it really isn't worth the effort. I am just about to drill a hole in each and if i hear an improvement i'll get a couple of ports, if not they get covered up with a bit of wood and No-More-Nails.

Cheers,

Andy.

10. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    Can I come round and watch you chainsaw them to ribbons, if it doesn't work? :D

11. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No need:thumbsup:

They sound pretty good. I don't have a chainsaw though, could have been fun:)
    Still a little boomy though, i'll try lining the insides with foam tomorrow. At least it is somehing to do on a boring evening. I REALLY wish i hadn't sold my NAD. That was 4ohms and would have sounded ace.

Cheers,

Andy.