DIY Speaker Stands

yokozuma

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve just acquired some new Q Acoustic 3020’s as part of 5.1 setup and they’re sitting a little low from ear level. I was first looking at the Atacama SL300’s to lift them up roughly 30cm, however at £130 they almost cost as much as the speakers themselves!

Can’t seem to find any other 30cm stands so the only option would be some make some myself. Hopefully the good members of AVForums can give me some technical pointers as I’ve been out of the AV game for a while.

Just using odd bits of MDF and plywood I’ve got knocking about I’m thinking about the copying the Atacama design below or another one found on YouTube. They’ll be sitting on top of an IKEA Besta unit which is flat on a hardwood floor, so:

Will being a pretty lightweight frame be an issue or should it have a solid core (filled with sand etc) ?

Would spikes be necessary, should it have small rubber feet or completely flat on top of the unit with some padding underneath?

Pics to follow as I get underway.

Thanks.:)

Option 1

ata.png

Option 2
2.png

My cousin made identical version 1s. He used scaffold tubes, 12mm threaded studs nuts and a few penny washers and two pieces of 25mm ply.

The tubes he filled with kids sand pit sand before blotting all together.

Looked great all sprayed matt black.

HTH

M

My cousin made identical version 1s. He used scaffold tubes, 12mm threaded studs nuts and a few penny washers and two pieces of 25mm ply.

The tubes he filled with kids sand pit sand before blotting all together.

Looked great all sprayed matt black.

HTH

M

Cheers, think that might be the best option. All the scaffold tubes I can find come in a 48mm, might be a bit too thick to get four of them on to small base.

Thinking a black waste pipe might do the trick if it is reinforced slightly.

Copper pipe comes in 35mm diameter. It's expensive but might be better then plastic waste pipe.

HTH

M

Why go with metal for the legs? I used a couple of broom handles, cut down to the correct lengths. All you need then is some screws and some wood glue.
If it's all the same material i.e. wood, the paint finish will look more even than when you use ply and copper or steel.

Why go with metal for the legs? I used a couple of broom handles, cut down to the correct lengths. All you need then is some screws and some wood glue.
If it's all the same material i.e. wood, the paint finish will look more even than when you use ply and copper or steel.

Or even a curtain pole.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom