DIY Sound Group HTM-12 Build

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by mkohman, Nov 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    I have decided to go down the DIY route myself. I would like to take this opportunity to give a "HUGE THANKS" to @Ringnut for introducing me to DIYSG and all his help and advice... I wouldn't have been even considering this project if it wasn't for him, so really appreciate all the time and input that he has given and continues to give me ;)

Also a "HUGE THANK YOU" to @Liammonty123 , @PsyVision for all their continued help and support to get me started.

This will be a slow progress build and will take time no doubt, however I will definitely be posting pics and updating this thread as and when things are moving along.

I have placed my order in just now for 3 x kits of the HTM-12 and the pre assembled crossovers which has cost me $970 or £750 and will get my MDF for the cabinet build cut tomorrow or in a couple of days when I am off work... I've also just ordered some more clamps from Amazon so will await for all to arrive before I commence.

Will hopefully update with some pics during next week :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. ash23t

ash23t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Looking forward to this. As someone considering this route myself, can I ask why you chose the HTM-12 over the other diysg options?

As it is all a bit confusing to me, as they have so many offerings; HTM, 1099, 893 etc which are all capable as LCR's.

3. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Hi ash23t,

No problem at all. So basically I was in the same position as you.. Too much on offer to choose from at all similar prices.. I really like the look of the 1099 but when I took a tape measure in my hand and physically tried to picture them I quickly realised they were far too big for me.. That left me with 2 options.. The 893 and the HTM-12 which was actually reccomended to me by Erich from DIYSG.

The reason I finally decided on the HTM-12 was the fact they are dedicated cinema speakers to go behind an acoustically transparent screen, which in my situation is the case. The 893s can also be placed behind an AT screen as can any other speaker for that matter, however the HTM-12's were built for this in mind hence why I finally decided on this option. The HTM-12 with the bigger dispersion of the compression tweeter and the single 12inch mid bass driver was more appealing to me and suitable for my setup.. I think the 893s are probably just as capable if not more capable, however they are more home friendly speakers (easier on the eye).

Hope this helps you in some way and thank you for following my thread.. I'll do my absolute best to keep this thread alive and updated with pics as and when I have progress :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  4. AceFactor

AceFactor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Looking forward to following this thread, especially after seeing/hearing your setup in person. I’m guessing these will be replacing your ATC’s (if I remember correctly)?

5. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    @AceFactor, thank you for subscribing.. Yes it will hopefully be replacing my XTZ cinema speakers (only the LCR for now), considering all goes to plan lol :) TBH with you I have no complaints what so ever with my current speakers, just wanted to try something different hence why going down this root as anything that could probably better my current speakers would cost 3 to 4 times more than what this build will be costing me.

How's the sub? Hope your still enjoying it :)

6. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    Good luck with the build, it took me a while but the final result was well worth it, stunning speakers!

7. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Cheers @Liammonty123 much appreciated [emoji106]

8. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Quick update:

I have just received confirmation from Erich at DIY SG and he has confirmed that the order is being processed and should ship out by the end of the week.

A little change of plans however.. I am going to put everything on hold for now (with regards to building the cabinets) as I do not want to get any alignment of the panels incorrect. I will wait for everything to arrive first as I will need the front baffle present and build them all in one go. Sorry but may be a little while before any further progress depending on how quick the gear all arrives safely here in the UK..

9. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    If I remember rightly it took around a week and a half from ordering that the speakers arrived!

10. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Cheers @Liammonty123 I hope that will be the same in my case too. Would be lovely if could have it all up and running before x mas[emoji106]

11. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    Is it just a case of getting the speakers built and behind the screen or is there more to do? The only reason mine took so long was not originally using tuff cab and incorrectly using filler. You can throw the boxes together in a day, sand, fill and paint, stuff, wire and have them up and running in a week I reckon. Although this all depends on your free time after work at weekends etc...

12. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Pretty much so.. I may actually get the mdf cut and ready and then just build the top, bottom and sides onto the base panel whilst waiting for the speakers to arrive.

Once I have the front baffle I can then sort out the braces.. After all done it's a filling, sanding, priming and painting job.

I like tuff cub but I prefer a smooth flat black I think.. Not sure if I'm gonna spray or mini roller it.... I'm off for a few days from tomorrow so depending on how things pan out I may get the wood cut and start the build from the top, bottom and sides only and leave the braces untill the speaker kits arrive..

13. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Good to see another build. It's getting quite busy in this section at last.

Good luck. Not much to it, if you really wanted to I'm sure you could get the box ready before hand. Just ask other owners where to put the braces etc. The baffles are cnc'd so should be perfectly sized.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  14. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Thank you @markymiles much appreciated :) Agreed.. I will get the MDF cut tomorrow at my local B&Q and then start building the box as I will have some free time the next 3 days.. I'll make sure I take my time, glue and clamp as I go along and ensure all panels are dead straight and measing at 18 inches wide x 25 inches high as this is what the front baffle is quoted to be on the DIYSG website..

15. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Quick update.. I've just been to my local B&Q and the guy there was very helpful.. He cut all my pieces to exact measurements and now I have got them back home and doing a dry fit test before I glue the top, bottom, left and right panels together.. Here's a few photos.. Fingers crossed should hopefully go all well [emoji106] IMG_20171121_104315773.jpg IMG_20171121_113232213.jpg IMG_20171121_121509192.jpg IMG_20171121_115901148.jpg IMG_20171121_120927813.jpg

16. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,516
    are you going to glue that in one go and then stick a panel on the back? if so, I recommend some decorators tape to hold it together while you attach clamps & tighten clamps progressively to keep pressure reasonably consistent otherwise you're likely to start swearing as things slip out of position. A rubber mallet is handy in these situations too. I would also suggest remembering to do something to keep them aligned front to back btw as the last thing you want is a nice frame with misaligned faces.

fwiw I don't use screws either and usually take it 1 side at a time (well 1 side then the 2 adjacent sides then the last side) working on the back as a base with the braces attached first (to give the sides something to grip onto)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    That's exactly what I did, thanks for the tip though.. It was a bit tricky with the band clamp lol but all ok now.. I have glued in the first one and applied reasonable pressure both on Band clamps and the quick grip clamps.. Any idea how long I should leave it in its clamp status before taking the clamps off? I mean I don't intend sticking the back facia today but I can then move on to the next one if I can remove the clamps.. I'll leave the clamps for a few hours or even till tomorrow no rush but I just didn't know how long is reccomended to leave the on.. Would appreciate some advice please..

Also the corners seem pretty flush and square as I used my square to check afterwards.. I cleaned the excess glue from the outside case to minimise any sanding later on in the build however left the inside with the excess glue as can be seen in the pictures... Hope this is OK to do? IMG_20171121_131247181.jpg IMG_20171121_131258514.jpg IMG_20171121_131449233.jpg IMG_20171121_131455855.jpg

Attached Files:

18. ash23t

ash23t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If you only gluing then I would err on the safe side and leave overnight. But probably fine after whatever period is listed on the glue bottle.

19. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Cheers mate.. That's what I was intending to do.. Leave for tomorrow then move to next one.. I should get my other clamps tomorrow morning so even better.. [emoji106]

20. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,516
    excess glue is easily sanded off (assuming you have a decent sander) and/or run a chisel through it should take the excess off in one piece once it is dried

21. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    You're using gorilla wood glue aren't you? If so you only have to leave the clamps on for around half an hour! Then leave to dry over night. If you're not using the clamps in the meantime however you may as well leave them on! Looking good!

22. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Cheers @Liammonty123 , I am using gorilla glue.. I agree.. as I have no rush I am going to build 1 a day so I will leave over night with clamps on. Thanks for the tip!

23. PsyVision

PsyVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Good progress!

24. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Thanks @PsyVision [emoji106]

25. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Right.. Off to bed now guys, however I just couldn't sit still lol.. I figured the clamps had been on for over 11 hours so was safe to take off and glue back panel for the duration of the night so that's what I did [emoji23].. Tomorrow I'll start fresh on the second box fingers crossed after a few things I have to do in the morning.. Will update with pics as I go along.. Good night all... IMG_20171122_002417245.jpg IMG_20171122_002423426.jpg IMG_20171122_002436885.jpg IMG_20171122_002501322.jpg

26. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Current situation... All 3 box frames glued and clamped will do the rear panels tomorrow... [emoji106] IMG_20171122_130411456.jpg IMG_20171122_150054687.jpg

27. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,776
    Looking forward to your 01:00 update! :laugh:

28. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Lol.. Won't be happening.. [emoji23]

29. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Looking good. What's the ETA (deadline) on the parts arriving?

30. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Cheers @markymiles, not sure or eta for arrival of parts but I did get a confirmation email from Erich last night confirming shipping so I am guessing it's probably going to be 2 weeks from now...

Just got back home about an hour ago and managed to knock up the other two boxes.. Back panels glued and clamped.. Will probably leave the clamps on untill tomorrow evening as I don't need them for anything else and once that's done I guess I'll need to wait for the front baffle and parts before I start cutting out and installing the vertical and horizontal braces into each box.. But this is the current situation as can be seen in photos below : IMG_20171123_110052509.jpg IMG_20171123_134704257.jpg IMG_20171123_134712739.jpg