Diy Sound Group HTM-12 Build

Liammonty123

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This is my build thread for three HTM-12's from Erich over at DIYSG in the states. I've just placed my order for 3 HTM-12's and 3 HTM-12 Crossover Assemblies for $970 or £760. Shipping to California to be forwarded to Manchester (estimated at $220 or £170). I've spent years being dissatisfied by bookshelf type speakers for home cinema. Don't get me wrong they can perform very well, but I always found they lacked dynamics and seemed to distort at the high volumes I want to listen to movies at. For music they are generally great, for reference level playback, not so much. Around a year ago I stumbled upon a fourm that mentioned PA speakers for use in the home as cinema speakers which sparked my interest. However it has also been mentioned that PA speakers lack the finesse of HI-FI speakers and replace some lost detail with high sensitivity or high SPLs. After spending months reading reviews about the DIY SG speakers I found they seemed to combine SPL and finesse/detail into one speaker, which is exactly what I am looking for. The Seos type designs seem to be great for home cinema and also offer great off axis performance for anyone not sitting in my seat! I hope they are good!

Any news?

Sorry for the lack of updates, they've arrived at the shipito location in California but haven't appeared in my dashboard yet. As soon as they do I'll get them sent over via FedEx and crack on with the build!

Speakers have been shipped with FedEx via Shipito and should be here Wednesday, can't wait to build them and get them running!

Came home to a lil surprise from the Fed Ex guy today!!!
20170926_150831.jpg 20170926_151511.jpg 20170926_151517.jpg 20170926_171232.jpg

The packaging on these was truly excellent. The main component box looks like it took a beating on it's way overseas but everything inside remained unmarked and in pristine new condition. I was also surprised at how weighty the CD's are and how light the Deltalites are in comparison however both feel very solid drivers. I ordered the pre-made crossovers too which are a work of art. I hooked one up to the CD and Woofer and blasted a few songs through them and was surprised how good they sounded free-air, can't wait to get the boxes built! For the wires to the speakers I've got 4mm2 OFC cable with 2 pole speakon ends, and for inside the boxes I've got 2.5mm2 OFC cable to connect the drivers to the crossovers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KB0BJFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20170926_163341.jpg 20170926_163356.jpg 20170926_171210.jpg

PS: Can anyone tell me what the HF PAD output is for on the crossover boards?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The packaging on these was truly excellent. The main component box looks like it took a beating on it's way overseas but everything inside remained unmarked and in pristine new condition. I was also surprised at how weighty the CD's are and how light the Deltalites are in comparison however both feel very solid drivers. I ordered the pre-made crossovers too which are a work of art. I hooked one up to the CD and Woofer and blasted a few songs through them and was surprised how good they sounded free-air, can't wait to get the boxes built! For the wires to the speakers I've got 4mm2 OFC cable with 2 pole speakon ends, and for inside the boxes I've got 2.5mm2 OFC cable to connect the drivers to the crossovers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KB0BJFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 916266 View attachment 916267 View attachment 916268

PS: Can anyone tell me what the HF PAD output is for on the crossover boards?

I think you have the option of tailoring the top end to your preference. My attaching wires to the HF pad you lower the top end a touch. Handy if you find them too bright as is.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I think you have the option of tailoring the top end to your preference. My attaching wires to the HF pad you lower the top end a touch. Handy if you find them too bright as is.

Ah right, makes sense, I prefer my top end to be aggressive and these will be going behind an AT screen which may dampen the very top slightly anyway, so I'll just leave it open.

Sweeeeeet! Get on and build them :) Did you get flat packs or not?

I didn't get flatpacks as it bumped up the shipping costs quite considerably so I'll be nipping to B&Q this weekend to get them to cut some MDF for me, that is if if they have a cutting service still? Can't wait to hear how they sound when finished!

For anyone wondering about the speakers, I ordered my MDF from WoodSheets.com. I was quoted delivery in 3 to 7 working days. It has now been two weeks. I have emailed the company 5 times with no response and rang twice with no response. A quick google search shows this company is owned by Wanna Group who also own Plastic Sheets. Another quick google search of Plastic Sheets reveals many many others having the exact same problem as me! I try to not be negative but I urge people not to order from this company, especially if you need your wood quickly. Luckily I don't. If I don't receive a response this week I'll be trying for a Refund! Appalling customer service!

I've opened up a dispute with PayPal and they've replied on there saying that 3 to 7 days is an estimate and they it make take a little longer for larger orders. I'll leave it till Friday then get PayPal involved!

Bummer, especially as I'm sure you're itching to get going. Hope they come up with the goods in the end.

It pains me to come home everyday and see those beautiful kits sitting unmade in the corner of me room :laugh:

Another 10 days surely you've got the mdf by now?

The PayPal claim only ends on the 25th. However I got a text yesterday from Parcel force saying my order has been dispatched. I've emailed again with no luck.

Surprise surprise, from what I shall now call the most dire wood cutting service known to man, I discovered I was 1 top short, so have had to buy a piece of 18mm MDF from B&Q. Quick question, the b&q MDF and the front baffles are slightly lighter in colour than the shipped ones, any ideas why?
20171023_152920.jpg

Erich's MDF seems better quality than ours. A bit more dense. Certainly was harder to screw through.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom