Question Diy sound bar wiring and amp

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by Slysi, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Slysi

Slysi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm building a retro auto theme soundbar using car audio components. I will be using 3 speakers (2x6.5" 4ohm dual cone speakers 30w nominal 150w max and 1x8" 4ohm 3way coaxial speaker 90w nominal 350w max). I am planning on using either a car head unit or a mini amp. So my question is this.
    1. If I use a 2channel amp, 1 channel running small left/right speakers and 1 channel running the large Centre speaker I presume I would wire the L/R speakers in series, so that each channel has a 4 ohm load? Does balance/fade between the two channels alter the power (watts) going to that channel? I ask this because the center speaker can handle greater power than the other two?
    2. If I use a 4 channel amp, then I could run the smaller left and right speakers off their own seprate channels. Byt what about the larger center speaker? Would I run it off one channel and leave one empty or would I run it off the two remaining channels eg bridging. What is the implication of bridging? Does it pump more power to the larger speaker?
    3. Last question... Is it advisable to run a 2ohm*load off one channels (eg, 2x4ohm speakers in parallel) and a 4 ohm load off the other channel? Pros and cons please.

Any suggestions here would be appreciated as this is my first diy audio project.

2. StratManSi

StratManSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Unless you're going to put an AV processor in there somewhere then I would stick to 2 channel for this project. Keep it simple and you should get good results!