1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY/Sonic-T as Headphone Amp

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by eviljohn2, Jul 5, 2005.

1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Having just acquired a nice pair of cans to use in my room (Sennheiser HD570) I'm wondering about a cheap headphone amp since the output on my mini-system is weedy to say the least.

To save some cash I'm wondering about a DIY model - there's plenty of online info about the CMOY and MINT but I'm quite interested in a collected kit as I'm a little out of practice with these things although not completely devoid of electronics knowledge from my physics degree.

I was also wondering if the Sonic-T amp could be used in such a way or would it be too powerful to use in this way? If it works and is as good as people claim then it could be headphone bargain of the year. :)

Edit: Just done a bit of reading and although people have used the Sonic Impact T-amp for headphones it requires a fair bit of modification as it outputs a large amount of ultrasonic frequencies.

So I go on to wonder about using something like this BK offering which could well be overkill!

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
  3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thanks for the link LD, it seems like a possible solution but I suspect that for the time and effort involved I could do better elsewhere. It's a shame as I suspect that the Sonic Impact could do an excellent job if the irreularities pertaining to headphones could be ironed out. :)