DIY SKY Install - What's the best kit?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DJ74, Jun 28, 2005.

1. DJ74

DJ74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello people, this is my first post on AV Forums, so I'll start by saying hello! :smashin:
    After much thought I've decided to go for Sky (not Sky+) as I can't receive the Freeview channels and NTL havent run cables in my area yet.
    I was thinking about installing my own system, I'm absolutely new to this so please let me know if I'm out of my depth here!
    I've been looking around various sites Ebay, satelitecentre.co.uk etc and I'm thinking of picking up the kit and installing a fixed dish system myself.
    I'm not sure what size dish I need 45,60 or 80cm?
    I know I'll need an alignment meter but what make is best?
    What type of receiver do I need to get (is Pacer a good make?) and do I need one that offers plenty of channel capacity?
    What cables do I need to connect the dish to the reciever?
    This list of questions could go on and on but I'm going to shut up now and hopefully get some feedback!

I would really appreciate any help or tips from you guys especially people that have installed their own systems.

Cheers
    DJ :)

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    DJ,

Welcome to the forums. :)

Go to www.freesatfromsky.com and get the whole lot fitted for £150. DIY may save you a few quid but is it worth the hassle? :)

A. Dork

3. DaddyR

DaddyR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weird DJ74, I'm also new here and this is only my second post and it is about the same subject!

So my question, I'm moving house and have taken down my Sky dish and packed up the digibox to take with me and use it for freesat (can't afford a new house and Sky!), which I was going to install myself.

I'm going to a new development and although I am sure I have seen dishes in other parts of the area I don't know if there are any close by for me to use as a "line of sight guide". Is it worth getting something like this http://www.beststuff.co.uk/slx_satellite_finder.htm to locate the best signal strength or can I use the onscreen guide (with the wife shouting out "hotter, colder etc.")?

What sort of quality cable should I be using? It's only going to connect to a 8 year old 4:3 TV so I'm not overly fussed by quality, therefore will the standard cable be OK?

The other pain is I've got to buy a long ladder - but screfix.com seem to do these for a reasonable price and include delivery. Heck, if this works I'll set myself up as a weekend dish installer :D

4. morksbeanbag

morksbeanbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    i'm wondering about setting up sky in my room. Anyone know what is considered the best Sky+ box available? I'd like something which has a digital audio output, component prog scan or at least RGB so i can get one of those converter thingies to turn rgb into component prog scan.

5. DaddyR

DaddyR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well a quick update and I am afraid to say that my career as an installer has ended prematurely.

Visited the new house today to do a pre-move inspection and I noticed one of the other houses had a large aerial on it. So I said to the site manager "oh, do they all come with those?" and was told that they come with nothing, nada, niet and no aerial at all either.

So a quick ring round (and a little bit of haggling and I've got a big freeview quality aerial being fitted, the Sky dish being put on, an extra socket in one of the rooms and the "lounge TV in all rooms thing" for the grand total of about £180. And they'll do it on Saturday as well.

An awful lot easier than doing it myself, but without the self satisfied "ugh, ugh, man job" feeling.