DIY Silver screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fallwood, Sep 15, 2004.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone tried to make a silver screen yet, ive read about a product called rust-oleum aluminium spray paint in this thread over at avsforums www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=240074 , im assuming that its a standard metal treatment paint and someone discovered that its good for making projector screens. Does anyone know of a similar paint available in the UK as rust-oleum only seems to be on sale in the US.

2. meoq

meoq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's only available in the US. Unfortunately most of the paints used in the experiments of the AVSForum are only available in the US...which is really annoying given the results they are apparently getting.

However, we DO have silver paints here..and although they are unlikely to match the composition of those used by the AVSForum crew exactly, similar results could well be possible. I had a look around my local area today to see what kind of materials and paints are available - the most commonly available metallic paints are Hammerite and Triflow. Hammerite has two flavours of silver: silver grey (hammered finish) and Silver (smooth finish). The smooth finish is probably preferable - both are available in tins or aersol cans. It is impossible to tell how things will go until they are tried - it's probably relatively cheap to buy a small tin of both and give it ago on small pieces of material. I also saw an exterior Aluminium paint, from Rustins I think.

It's kind of unfortunate that the UK AVForums isn't keeping pace with the AVSForum in terms of DIY projects. I know we don't have access to the same paints etc. as they do, but we have access to stuff they don't too, and we'll never know how well it works until we try it ourselves! I mean, they had no idea what they were doing before they tried either. For all we know, our paints/materials might be better! I was really surprised that I couldn't find one thread here mentioning "Light Fusion", and the potential options available to UK/European members. The results that seem to be achievable using this method are pretty incredible. I don't know how someone with a little time on their hands could spend $3000 or whatever on a Stewart without at least putting a little money into experimentation with these materials, given that you could get (apparently) equal or better results with this method.

Anyway, rant off. Personally I haven't tried any experimentation either, so I probably shouldn't complain. But the apparent lack of that experimentation here is simultaneously frustrating AND appealing, in that it's all completely new territory for us, and there's potentially great discoveries to be made using the materials/paints we have. So maybe I will start trying some of this stuff out..

I'm certainly VERY enticed to try painting/spraying a mirror with Screen Goo's CRT White..as far as I can tell that's an acceptable method of achieving "light fusion".

edit - I don't know if its a lack of awareness, or what, that's supressing interest here, but I'd really encourage EVERYONE to go have a look at the work of MississippiMan and CRMA on the AVSForums, particularly their "Super Deluxe/MisissippiMan Formula" (Light Fusion). Maybe I'm crazy, but it looks great!

3. meoq

meoq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to add another reply, but the last one got fairly long, so I figured I'd add this on its own.

Has *nobody* here tried the whole Light Fusion thing? I've looked into it a bit more, and it'd be fairly cheap(ish) to try. You can get "plastic mirrors" quite cheaply at http://www.westwardplastics.co.uk. They come in a variety of pre-cut sizes and they'll cut to measure too! You could get a 300mm x 600mm sheet for less than £6 to experiment with. They're just about the right thickness aswell (a little short of the recommended 1/8 of an inch - but that may not be a bad thing!). If I'm getting this right, then all you'd need to do is put 2-3 coats of an appropriately translucent paint on top. Ideally it'd be sprayed on, and the preferred paints seem to be a custom concoction (that you'd have to go to the States to get) or Goo CRT White (available here). I had thought the (glass) mirrors would be very expensive, especially in the sizes we'd need, and this might be a reason why so few (or nobody!) was trying it here, but plastic mirrors apparently work just as well, and are much cheaper (as well as safer).

Sorry to hijack your thread, fallwood, but the principles of this and the silver screen you asked about are quite similar. And they're both more "exotic" DIY projects that have gone unexploited here (i think!).

4. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Glad to see someones replied to my question at last. Ive tried a few aluminium spray paints so far but all seem to be too glossy and hotspotting is terrible (gain is amazing though with a very wide viewing cone), im going to my local auto paint suppliers tomorrow to discuss what he could mix up to match the paints they're using in the US. As im in to car modifying I have become quite good at spraying and have all the equipment needed to give a few paint samples a go. Im going to try a straight metalic base coat in light grey and a mica base coat in light grey . Not sure how the aluminium fleck he uses in his metallics will diffuse the light , he does use various sizes of fleck so i will try a few and see wich ones best. The mirror idea sounds good and i will also try that on a small piece of glass mirror. Come on people lets get experimenting and get this diy forum up to US standards.

5. meoq

meoq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting..I didn't check the original link in your post. I assumed you were linking this this thread, on someone's "DIY Silverscreen":

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=451050

Have you seen this thread? Aluminium or silver paint/spray on its own will indeed hotspot like crazy. According to this guy, and others, you need to add another layer of a different paint to control the hotspotting whilst retaining the excellent gain and colour properties of the aluminium/silver. The guy in the thread linked to has used a "crystal clear latex paint" over the aluminium spray. He used 2 - 3 very light coats of the latex paint, thinned; the thickness and eveness of these coats seems to be critical in balancing control of the hotspotting versus the advantages of the aluminium. Have you tried any clear paints on your aluminium tests?

edit - this technique and aims of this "silverscreen" are fairly similar to "light fusion"; your aluminium coat is basically acting like a mirror, and then it's a matter of finding the right top coat to control its less desireable properties, whilst retaining its brilliant gain/whites/blacks. When spraying your mirror sample, you need to use a translucent white paint..various mixes have been used on AVSForum with widely varying results. The top coat is critical..most success seems to have been had with their Goo-like substitute, sprayed in 2 or 3 *very* light coats..

6. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    im going to get my paint man to mix a matt white with a lot of matt clear coat in it, hopefully this will give me a translusent white topcoat to apply to the mirror/aluminim paint . Hopefully ill be doing some tests tomorrow and will post the results as soon as i can.

7. meoq

meoq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do keep us posted, Fallwood. I'm very interested to see how it goes..

At the moment I'm looking into the feasibility of "paint-less" alternatives..films, fabrics etc. My painting skill isn't so reliable ;)

8. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just been to see a friend of mine who I get my foamex from (see other post) and he showed me some sample pieces of all the colours that foamex comes in, their is a very light grey version that looks like it could be a perfect match to use as a screen, given the fantastic results i get from using the plain white foamex i'm expecting the light grey will be even better. This could be the answer for people who cant/dont want to spray as its very cheap (30.00 for an 8x4 sheet 3mm thick), i will be getting a sheet by the end of the week so will post result from this and my paint tests at the same time. he also told me that the carriage company he uses would ony charge about 8.00 to deliver a sheet to anywhere in the uk .