1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ukblueboy, Jan 9, 2003.

1. ukblueboy

ukblueboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, has anyone used a white blackout roller blind (the sort u get from b&Q etc) as a screen, was it any good?. Just thinking as it would be a ready made screen at the fraction of the cost of a real one. Or am I just been a skinflint and should slap myself and just buy a propper one.
    While I am on any feedback on the Philips Garbo Matchline,
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Steve

2. Nexus6

Nexus6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep used one from B&Q the blackout type white colour, works a treat. £60 as I wanted the 6ft x 6ft one. I have made a couple of brackets out of a chair leg and some pot brackets to hang it on the wall and get past the curtain over hang. I will post an image if the Forum allows.

3. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm looking around for a cheap diy screen at the moment but I too can't decide if saving on this is the best way forward. It kinda feels like buying a TVR and then putting some kwik-fit remoulds on ??

Everyone seems to think budgeting 10% of the cost of your system to go on cabling is about right, what percentage applies to screens ??

I'm currently thinking about a mixture of the two (as you may have seen from the DIY screen thread) - using a roller blind kit and buying some da-lite hi-gain screen material. Not that cheap, but at least you know you'll be using the right tool for the job as it were.

I reckon it's going to be about £150 for a 7' wide 16:9 screen, which seems cheaper than the ready made versions and still gives you the flexibilty to make it whatever size you want.

4. ukblueboy

ukblueboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried the roller blind kit and blackout material road, too many ripples, but the ready made roller blinds seem as if they would be smoother, might order one and try