Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DIY Screen

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Sorcery, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am thinking of constructing a screen from a sheet of either MDF or Ply and painting it either with Goo from Goo systems or Dulux IceStorm No.6. I will probably mask off the edges with black tape or similar.

Firstly do people here think that this would give a decent picture?
    Would it be better to wrap canvas / blackout material around the wood?

Secondly what is the best way of attaching such a sheet of wood to the wall? Are there brackets that can be bought or is there a cheap and cheerful way? :)

Cheers,
    Nick

2. mortonman

mortonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just completed a DIY screen and as the wall was perfectly straight it is screwed on but I was also considering mirror brackets that can be found in most hardware stores.

Matt

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went the frame plus blackout material painted Icestorm 5.5 ;) route. More info on my screen here - inc what I used to fix it to the wall.

With the MDF route, unless your wall is dead flat, you'll need a thick piece of timber, and it will be a PIG to get up, as it will be v heavy and unwieldy (IMO). We sat the screen on a stool, fixed the top brackets in place, then removed the stool and fixed the other brackets. As the wall isn't straight, I used some packing to get things perpendicular to the firing line of the PJ.

4. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Looks good RichardH, love the wall colour, what is it?

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It was a B&Q one coat emulsion called (IIRC) Warm Red. They do/did a very similar one that can be used on all surfaces called "Henna".

6. wb1

wb1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    this all looks really really cool. I bet you and your family are chuffed to bits!

Sal

7. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have just finished making my new screen :D

As it's in a smallish room I only wanted it to be fairly small so I just cut it out from a sheet of 18mm MDF...12mm would have done the job but I just happened to have the 18mm sheet spair.

The screen is approx 53" wide and I applied two coats of MDF primer followed by two coats of Dulux Icestorm 6.

The MDF sheet is simply screen directly to the wall using a fixing in each of the four corners...thankfully my wall was pretty flat.

Tommorow I plan to add a frame around the outside of about an inch thick to cover the screw holes...this will be painted black.

Then I plan to get a thinner sheet of MDF...or maybe ply...to make a cover for the screen which can be hooked over to both cover the screen when not in use and also to allow a poster/mirror/something to tart it up.

Have tested and the image is on a par with the free screen I got with my PJ...a HS10...and might be slightly better - it's a damn sight flatter and has no wringles :D

Cheers, Lee

8. Goof

Goof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Having seen Richard's I've decided my screen looks a little lame and unpolished :D

I went for the blackout material around a hollow wooden frame approach (with thanks to Mr Lightfoot :smashin: ), 92"x54" IIRC but it's lacking the nice black velvet border.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a good idea of how I could add this to the current construction? Taping round the back would be fine but I'm just wondering how I'd fix it to the front? Some sort of material glue perhaps? Oh, and anyone have a rough idea of how much the velvet will cost?

TIA and sorry to invade the thread Nick :)

9. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was given the velvet, so can't say. What about some spray adhesive? You can get rubber based spray stuff that's pretty strong - not the spraymount used for pictures. Something like this , perhaps?
    I'd test if first, though!! Make sure the velvet isn't marked through, and that it sticks!

Can you tuck the fabric between frame and screen at the front to finish it off nicely, too?

10. Goof

Goof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Richard, actually thinking about it, I might get away with PVA! (sorry, recent ex-student and still have to watch the pennies :D ).

Unfortuntely I won't be able to tuck the velvet between the screen and frame as there isn't a bordering frame, it's just the cloth wrapped around and over the frame. That's why I'm a bit concerned about the finish I'd get...

11. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ooooh, it's going to be tricky to get a nice straight edge, isn't it! To be honest I'd consider another solution, as I think the velvet might be a recipe for disaster - I think PVA would soak through into the "pile" of the velvet, too.

12. Goof

Goof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I was only half-serious about the PVA...

Would like to give the velvet a shot though - if I got some of that spray adhesive and doubled the edges of the velvet over so there are no frayed edges I'd hopefully get away with it!

13. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, that should be OK - good idea. What about double sided tape as a less messy alternative? The double sided carpet tape is REALLY strong stuff, and might do a neat job.

14. Goof

Goof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah carpet tape sounds a good idea!

See, there was you being all pessimistic as well :D
    Thanks Richard.

15. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had some more bright ideas :rolleyes:

What about buying some velvet ribbon? Don't know if you can get it in 2" wide strips, but it would be nice and easy to apply then...

Idea number 2 - have some hardboard cut into 2" wide lengths to make a frame round the screen, cover the hardboard in the velvet (easy then to wrap around), then fix it to your current frame. That way it's nice and straight, you get a slight lip for that "picture frame" look.... and errr that's it.

16. Goof

Goof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That is actually a pretty good idea richard, it's either that or I take the current material off, apply velvet around the frame, then stapple the blackout material around the back as you have done.
    Only thing is, I don't think my frame is half as well as constructed as yours! Tbh I think the only thing that's holding the structure is the material's tension :lol:

So may just get velvet ribbon and another frame...

17. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    I have just bought my first projecter (panny ptae100) and enjoyed my first night of watching dvd large screen last night. I was watching it on a very flat plastered wall and althought the colour of this wall is not white (it is light terracota) the picture was superb. Anyway I think I will paint a screen sized section of the wall white to make the picture a little brighter. I have a pot of white matt emulsion in the house that I was going to use, will this produce a good finish for projecting a picture on to or should I be using gloss paint? I see that most people use dulux ice-storm paint. Where is this available, I looked in my local b & q but couldnt find it and have also had a look on the dulux website and couldnt see it. Does this go by any other name or am I being stupid?
    p.s. My girlfriend is none to happy about me painting a large white rectangle in the middle of the living room wall, just wait till she finds out that I am going to surround it with a 1.5" thick black border!!

18. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    USe Matt, not gloss, I'd say.

19. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Icestorm is from the grey range of the Dulux mix centre paints. Homebase do Dulux paint mixing.