DIY Screen Material Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Wookii, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Wookii

Wookii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Can anyone provide me with some possible recommendations for screen materials for a DIY screen? The screen will be approximately 3000mm across in a 1:2.35 aspect ratio.

Acoustically transparent would be ideal but not essential, though the seating distance will be approximately 13ft (4200mm) so any fabric structure needs to be invisible at that distance.

Preferably the material also needs to future proofed, and hence suitable for a 4k projector.

I have looked online at the Seymour Centre Stage XD - though I'm not sure on how visible the fabric structure would be. I've also looked at the Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K - but I'm not sure if that is available for DIY 'off the reel'.

With regards to non-AT screen materials, I'm not sure what options are out there.

All in all, any recommendations or suggestions are welcome?

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,384
    Hi Gareth

as you know I can`t recommend the Seymour material highly enough

I did actually sell my own demo screen to a customer to replace it with a Screen Excellence Elightor 4K one but it was simply too dark and I didn`t like it as much as the Seymour.

Also after speaking to Chris and the reports back from the US, they preferred the Seymour as well over 3 mtr viewing distance.

So I have now another 2.4 mtr Seymour Center Stage XD

3. Wookii

Wookii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Hi Al,

After I posted this thread I remembered that you sold the Seymour Screens so I have already sent you a e-mail! :laugh:

It is interesting to hear that you liked the XD better than the 4k! How do you mean it was darker, because of the gain difference? I prefer a higher gain with the JVC PJ's.

Cheers,

Gareth

4. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,384
    absolutley Gareth

the 4k Elightor is noticeably darker at 0.9 gain against the Seymour`s 1.2 gain.

the Enlightor for me is ever so slightly sharper if you stand at the screen and look at both materials side by side, the Elightor at this distance is also darker.

But at a viewing distance of 3 mtr and above the Seymour for me is sharper and definately brighter.