DIY screen for a budget outdoor setup ?

AdamBrunt

Standard Member
Hi all,

So I have my projector - Bomaker 7200 / Parrott 1 - I know, I know but ... note, I did say 'budget' and initial testing gives pretty impressive ( read good enough ) results, even in early evening outdoor surroundings and projecting directly onto a half brick half window wall on the house, so I have no complaints so far and the wife is fairly happy with the spend so far
emoji846.png

So now I am moving on to the next step - a budget screen for the budget projector. My problem is, the ideal place to project onto - as I said - has a large window taking up a lot of the area
emoji45.png

Ideally I am looking for a 120" 16:9 ratio screen, fixed frame and light enough to carried around. I am a envisaging two ( or maybe 4 ) cleats permanently, attached to the wall, onto which I just hang my portable/lightweight fixed frame screen.

Amazon.co.uk do a fairly cheap, fairly well reviewed, fixed frame Amazon product screen for £140 but I am wondering if you DIY gurus think it can be done cheaper ?

I was thinking seperate screen material and then just a basic wooden baton outer frame which the screen is stretched over. Would this work ? Would such a setup keep the screen tight or would it sag towards the middle ? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for UK suppliers of good screen material ? Or maybe even a bed sheet fixed taut to a simple baton frame ?

Alternatively, I assume the screen doesn't need to be 'fabric' so, would a suitably painted sheet of plywood/MDF ( or for ease of transport, several sheets of plywood/MDF ) do just as good a job ? It would certainly have the advantage of a perfectly flat, crease free screen. If so, what type/colour paint should I be looking for ?

TIA for any help

sim12

For the size you at wanting and the fact that you want to move the screen possible the one you have linked is likely your best option.

I could be wrong but sheets of ply wood won't come in 120" so 2 would have to joined, not ideal, mdf option would be weigh alot.

Making your own screen, wood warps and would not stay true, in theory this could effect the tension on what material you use.

So for me what you have linked is the best option given your circumstance.

AdamBrunt

Standard Member
For the size you at wanting and the fact that you want to move the screen possible the one you have linked is likely your best option.

I could be wrong but sheets of ply wood won't come in 120" so 2 would have to joined, not ideal, mdf option would be weigh alot.

Making your own screen, wood warps and would not stay true, in theory this could effect the tension on what material you use.

So for me what you have linked is the best option given your circumstance.

For the first attempt we went with the DIY frame and screen option. Still haven't got round to attaching the screen yet but so far - it has come in at a total cost of about £50 :) It also has the advantage of being more storable; it is hinged in the middle so only takes up half the space.

Worse case scenario ... it doesn't work and we go with the Duronic. Though the one drawback with the fixed screen is that, due to lack of storage space, it would have be dissassembled to store it :(

sim12

Interesting, its great some of the solutions that people on this forum find to make pj screens amongst other things.

Just beware that if you haven't attached the material yet you will likely need some type of detachable supporting beam on the rear of the screen as the natural tension of the screen material will make the screen want to close together, and obviously you cannot attach the material to work the opposing direction as that will stretch the screen material.

AdamBrunt

Standard Member
Already ahead of you :)

So the current plan is the screen frame folds inwards (with the screen material on the inside). And the outside will have a couple of french cleats (to go with the other half which are permanently attached to the outside wall) will should maintain the tension in the frame :)

sim12

It sounds like you on the ball with it, just out of interest what material did you decide to use for the screen?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom