DIY Screen Border Help

Spooksta

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm chopping down my old Sapphire screen for my new room
The width i have is 91.2" (so height will be 51.3" to give me 16:9)

My question is this.
As im using Devore black material in the whole room do i need a border for the screen
Should i literally have the screen full width or still add a small border of maybe 1-2 cm

My gut feeling is i need a small border even though i wont be able to see my hand in front of my face when this room is done.

Sneaky question...
Still think 16:9 is best option for most versatility. Would you agree?
I will add removable panels for watching 1.85:1

My first screen didn't have a border because the wall behind was black cloth, though not as black as Devore. It worked just fine though. You can try using the screen without a border and add an external frame to slot around it later of you want.

I personally prefer 2.35 CIH but that's another story :)

I thought if i go a narrower ratio i will loose out when watching 4:3 stuff and films are using IMAX (1.43:1) which is closer to 16:9

Last edited:
My first screen didn't have a border because the wall behind was black cloth, though not as black as Devore. It worked just fine though. You can try using the screen without a border and add an external frame to slot around it later of you want.

I personally prefer 2.35 CIH but that's another story :)

Hi Gary,

I know this is an old thread but I just made a new ine about 2.35, 2.39 and 2.40 ratios for screens. I will also be having a black material on the wall. Can you tell me which would be your ideal screen and why? I read 2.35 still leaves black bars for most films and 2.39 was now the way to go?

I think you will find that as the ratios vary a little (2.35, 2.39) you can get small black bars either at the sides, or the top and bottom whichever scope ratio you settle for, but they can be hidden in the black border if you have it by zooming and overscanning a little.

If you can experiment before getting the screen, you may find what size suits you better. If you go for the max width, and 2.35, that will give you the tallest image which may help with 16:9 content, depending on how close you sit (seating distance is important). 2.39 is more common today and I believe 2.40 is just a rounding up, so if you go don't watch many older movies, 2.39 may be a better choice.

Either way, scope will always be wider than the other ratios (other than IMAX) so that's the main thing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom