DIY screen advice needed.

Kane D Williams

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of making my own screen, does anyone have any ideas of an effective and cheap method? I want a 54"x96 screen (a few inches smaller would be OK). I was thinking of getting a large 12mm MDF sheet and either covering it with screen material (spray mount), or painting it? I can buy white or grey screen material and I will add a 3" black stage velvet border. My only concern is that this will be a little heavy and I was wondering if anyone new of another lighter, flat material, that comes in large sheets? I suppose that if I am covering it though, I could join 2 pieces (or more) together?

Cheers Kane

P.S. If anyone knows how to make a simple adjustable masking system, this would be helpful too.

Hi,

The easiest thing to do is :

1. Build a simple timber frame for the size that you want.

2. Go out and get a length of curtain "black-out" material from your local fabric store. There are often several grades of this material ... you want to get the one that has a white side to it (usually it's the "heavy" grade material). It tends to come in sizes up to about 54in wide .... just what you want for the screen height. Stretch and staple the material onto your frame.

Brian

I'm also thinking of building my own screen but I'm not sure where to get the actual screen material itself, can anyone recommend a supplier? Also if anyone can give me some info on the different types of screen material I would be quite grateful.

Try Gerriets on 020 72322262. They have every kind of material for theatrical purposes, including screen fabrics and light absorbing velvets etc.

Cheers.

I built an 84 x 47.25 screen using a wooden fram and blackout cloth.

I got the wood from B&Q (70mm x 18mm x 2.7m), and the blackout cloth from Alders for £15 (£5 per linear meter). It cost about £28 for all the bits including staples and screws.

You can get the cloth from most good haberdashers (sp?) as the blackout cloth is normaly used to line curtains to prevent light ingress.

There are a few pics on my home page..

Gary.

I've built a DIY scren out of the MDF material you are considering and am quite pleased with it. The details are here.

Built a masking system for it also, here.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom