1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Screen, 4:3 and 16:9 masking

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AMc, Jul 14, 2004.

1. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    Hi Guys,

Finally got my first PJ - Philips Bogart (1024x769, 800 Lumens 1800:1 contrast DLP) :clap:

I've got an IKEA blind and mounted on a temporary arrangement of a batten and a counter weight. It sits on top of the centre on the TV and rolls down in front. The TV and stand look like this (blind not pictured)
    [​IMG]

I thought that my roller arrangement would work for a while and would have the advantage that I could make a 4:3 screen or a 16:9 screen depending on what I was watching. Unfortunately it's hard to get the fabric to roll and unroll evenly so I'm thinking on canabalising the blind to build a fixed screen to go in front of the TV when I need it.

I've checked various threads about DIY screens and I'm fairly happy with how to build it from a timber frame.

1 - Would you recommend making the screen oversize to allow for a black border or simply make the screen the exact size?

2 - I'm thinking of using an open frame (180cm x 135cm) and having a 4:3 ratio on one side and masking the other down to 16:9 (180cm x 101cm) with black cloth. One side of the cloth is less suitable than the other for projecting which I'm prepared to live with for now - any other obvious flaws?

3 - I think in the end I'll buy a 4:3 portable screen - am I wasting my time here and I should bite (another) bullet and spend £150+ on something now?

Any constructive comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    More Q's
    - What dimensions of timber will I need to have enough rigidity to stretch the fabric?
    - Any recommendations for what to buy that won't warp?

3. Iaind

Iaind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Andy,

My screen is a canablised (sp?) ikea blackout blind. I wanted to buy the 2 metre wide screen but they wouldn't have them in stock for another 7 weeks, so I bought a 1.5m wide one. Initially I was going to mount it horizontally and by a somewhat Heath Robinsonish gadget stretch it tight across the wall.

Didn't work! So I bought some timber from Bees and Ques and created a frame approximately 6ft wide by 4ft high. I used triangle corner braces for additional strength and (hopefully) making the screen square. Also put in a central strut for added strength/stop middle sagging. This sits on the wall by means of 2 offcuts of wood screwed to the wall and the screen then just sits on top of them - obviously these are hidden by the screen itself.

Trimmed the screen all round with black velvet (1½ metres x 1m wide - £24'ish). This was cut into 25cm x 1m strips which were then attatched to the screen. I used extra strong (allegedly) double sided carpet tape, but this is not that strong so I might reattatch using copydex. The lower border is 30cm deep as a 'contrast'.

I used 270mm x 150mm (approx) wood and it was fine - the only thing to watch is that the wood isn't warped or twisted. It came in packs of either 4 or 6 (can't remember which) for about £5.00 (sorry these are so vague but I can't remember my name some times so what I did last week is virtually impossible). The blind was cut off the roller and stretched over the frame, attatched using both staples and small panel nails that I had left over from building some units.

Screen looks okay (but not stunning) and although there are a few creases in it, they don't really show up when watching a film.

If I did it again I would try and make the fabric a bit tighter and get a longer piece of velvet and hem it properly (well, okay, not me but my mum!). Overall though, I am very pleased with my DIY screen as (velvet excluded as I still have loads left) it only cost me about £20!

I don't have a digital camera to take some photos, but I will see if I can borrow one and get some shots up onto this site.

Regards
    Iain

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    Hi Iain,

Thanks very much for the information - Are you sure you really mean 270mm x 150mm - that's 10" x 6"? Maybe 27mm x 15mm or 1" x 0.6"?

One of the things that really annoyed me when chosing my projector was everyone quoting throw in metres and screen sizes in inches. I mentally work in metric so I have real problems visualising a 6' screen or a 100" diagonal.

I had to buy the 160cm blind because they had no 200cm ones in Thurrock either:( I would have waited but my partner would have killed me if I suggested we come back again after trudging all the way out there specially :( Looks like it doesn't matter in the end anyway.

(If I'm right about the decimal place) I think I have some spare timber in the basement I can use. If push comes to shove I can always dismantle it and rebuild with stronger wood.

I'll check out the local fabric shops for velvet and get a length as long as the screen if I can.

Which side of the blind did you use, the brigher white or the slightly duller one?

Cheers!

AMc

P.S. It's spelt "cannibalised" according to http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=canabalise.

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    FWIW I built my screen on Saturday...

I decided to risk using some 33mm x 15mm wood that I had kicking around - I figured I can always build a sturdier frame and reuse the fabric if this warps.
    I used mitres and L brackets in the corners to hold in place. I didn't have a large enough flat area to do the woodwork in, that lead to a fair bit of swearing trying to get the thing square - if you can do all the work on the floor!

I constructed a 4:3 frame that was 180cm x 135cm + 3.3cm all round (the width of the timber) intending to use that as a slim black border. After the baby was in bed and my partner had gone out :) I dismantled the blind and laid it out in the lounge.
    Then I brought the frame up from the basement and discovered if it was a few centimetres bigger it wouldn't have gone up the stairs :)
    At this point I discovered that the blind fabric wasn't actually 200cm long, more like 185cm :(. I unpicked the wooden bar at the bottom of the blind but the holes that left behind looked like they'd make great perforations when I tried to tension the fabric :( so time to rethink.
    Back to the basement and I cut down the frame to 175cm x 131.25cm :) - well somewhere near that. Then I relayed the frame over the fabric. Following these instructions as best I could http://www.rexart.com/stretching.html. I gently tensioned the fabric holding it in place with brass drawing pins in the back of the frame.
    After about 15 minutes of work I had the fabric fairly taut and I trimmed off the excess fabric from the back - it cuts really easily with a craft knife. I had intended to staple the fabric in place after getting it taut with drawing pins, but they were holding and I figured I might want to restretch it later.
    I put the screen up and noticed that there are some minor wrinkles in the middle of the long sides at the top and bottom. I missed the part about temporarily tacking the corners once you have the first pins in the centre of the long and short sides -this may well have been the problem.

I added another battern in the centre cut a couple of millimetres longer than the gap so it tensions the frame. It also adds a handy place to hold the frame and somewhere for the frame to rest on the front of the TV.

I powered up the PJ and the wrinkles aren't noticeable. If I could I would redo the stretching with two people. I'll probably buy a proper collapsable screen at some point in the future but for £20 it's very hard to beat!

I got the PJ mounted on the wall yesterday, inverted and a couple of metres up the wall on a speaker bracket. I need to align it a little more carefully as the 4:3 image is about 2 inches too low, but the image fills the frame completely with virtually no overspill.

We watched DareDevil last night and I was very pleased indeed - I thought the film was a bit poor (impluse buy) but the big screen at home takes some beating!

6. Iaind

Iaind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    andy,

You had exactly the same issues as me with wrinkles (the screen, not mine). Like you, if I could I would restretch the canvas with two people. And getting the thing square ---- all comments deleted ----- !

It is impressive though, all the mates I have had round for a viewing are well impressed.

Iain

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    So far only me and my partner have been treated to the full 'Odeon in the lounge' experience. I'm looking forward to showing off to some friends and family soon!
    I also need to do some work on light control in the lounge so I can start a film before 8.30pm.