• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DIY screan advice.. Tab alternative

timclarke

Standard Member
Hiya all,

Im after a little avice or wonder if anyone has tried aand failed/succeded ..

Im in the process of building my own DIY motorised screen, Has anyone built a motorised screen?? I cant find any posts about this type of DIY screen .. Mine needs to be roll away because the wife doesnt want it on show all the time ..

I have read a few posts on this and other forums about people making roll away screens but very little detail on how they have done it ..

My screen I'm intending to build will be a 96" wide screen 7ft wide and 4ft my first problem is has anyone successfully pulled off a way of keeping the screen taught in the width direction like with tabs ..

I had an idea that there must be a better method to acomplish this and still be able to roll the screen up without the messing about undoing velco tabs or passing cord down each side with a weight on the end ..

I will run my idea by you and maybe someone will either shoot it down in flames or comment that it has been done and works well ....

And so to my big plan!!!

A wide steel tape measure has its own rigidity in its length and fixing a length of it to each side of the screen should 1) force it to roll up straight on top of itself as it naturally does inside the tape measure, 2)it is rigid in its width because it is a sprung steel.

So .. if it is fixed top and bottom of the screen (into a dowel or something heavy enough to make the screen and tape taught) the screen should hold its shape...

im open to being shot down or advised ..

Thanks
Tim

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom