1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Scart Cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Coca-Cooper, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Coca-Cooper

Coca-Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my TV Room I have installed 4 x 20mm conduit pipes in the wall to pass AV cables "invisibly" between the TV and AV Components.

I plan to pass the following four cables in the pipes; 2 x Scart, 1 x Coax (RF) and 1 x RCA Cable Set (1 Video and 2 Audio).

My problem is with the Scart Leads. The pipe diameter is (just) wide enough pass the scart cable through, but obviously not the plugs! I can see two solutions:

1. Buy a prewired Scart Cable, cut off one plug, feed the cable through the Pipe and solder on a new plug.

2. As above, but keep the original plug and "join" the Scart Cable together after it has been passed through the pipe.

I think that (1) is the best solution, but there are 20 pins to solder per Scart Lead! - and my soldering skills could be described as "average"

Option (2) would be the simplest / easiest, but:

a. Joining 20 small cables together would look messy
    b. Be prone to later problems
    c. Could affect the performance of the Cable.

Any ideas or suggestions??
    Cheers

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    lektropacks sell scart cable by the metre so you can buy it and solder later.
    Or try using just the connections you need on the scart cables.

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Just a thought but I'd suggest getting a couple of runs of Van Damme 75ohm 5 core MINI*coaxial cable with BNC connectors, available from CPC. With sufficient cable 'ends' left on, you should be able to pull the 5 bnc connectors through your trunking one at a time. You could then make up some suitable (e.g. scart to bnc) adapters for the connections at either end. That might work out a little more expensive but you'll have more flexibility because you'll be able to pass almost any type of signal along the mini coax cores.

I'm sure that some of the dealers who advertise here (e.g. Gordon at Convergent av) could make you up the right leads and adapters if you don't fancy doing the soldering.
    (* don't use the regular Van Damme 5 core, it'll be too fat )

Brian

4. Coca-Cooper

Coca-Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys!

5. frog

frog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on the connection (type and quality) you are looking to achieve between your various components, you could also try scart adaptors, basically a scart plug with jacks for audio+composite, some also have s-video.
    I have a couple here, one of which has an input/output switch.

You could then run slim cables such as coax and s-video in your trunking.

6. johndickinson

johndickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If the conduit pipes are not very thick you could cut a slit in them all the way down. This would possibly allow the pipe to be parted so that you could insert the scart cable into the pipe. No need to solder/join the wires - jobs a good 'un.

John