• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DIY question

Dony

Distinguished Member
I need to fix a basketball backboard to my garage wall and the mounting bracket and fittings that came with it is next to useless.
I've decided that the easiest way will be to fix wooden batons to the wall and then attach the backboard to the batons.

Can anyone tell me what's the easiest way to do this? Can I simply cut out the batons to the size required and drive them into the block wall using heavy duty nails, or is there some other more reliable way to do this?

My DIY skills are minimal at best, so feel free to call me an idiot provided you tell me the correct way of doing it!

Lee

I'd avoid using nails and go for screws and wallplugs, plenty of them and of a fair length. You don't want to be doing a slam dunk and have it all fall down.

Last edited:

Dony

Distinguished Member
I'd avoid using nails and go for screws, plenty of them and of a fair length. You don't want to be doing a slam dunk and have it all fall down.

That's what I'm afraid off. This is going to be a permanent fixture (hopefully) so I want to get it right first time. I'll going to call at my local hardware shop to see what they have.
I was thinking of getting 10mm screws to fix the batons to the wall, and the same again for attaching the backboard to the batons. Would that sound ok?

You can't screw directly into a block wall, you will need some sort of masonry fixings.

So masonary fixings to attach the batons to the wall, and standard screws to attach the backboard to the batons?

baldrick

Prominent Member
If you're attaching to a masonry wall then use something like this: http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware/fixings/sleeve_anchors/B-and-Q-Sleeve-Anchor-M8x60mm-Nut-9372128

You'll need a pretty hefty drill to make the required holes, but once they're in they won't move anywhere.

When you talk about using 'batons' make sure you're thinking 2"x4" or larger. You want something with enough thickness for a screw to bite into. Depending on the mountings for the backboard you might be able to just align the heavy duty wall anchors with the holes on the board and avoid the batons all together....

baldrick

Prominent Member
Sandman said:
Did you read the instructions? I stand by my statement.

I use them around the house and I don't have to use any kind of fixing, just drill and screw!

shodan

Distinguished Member
Ohh, I like the look of them!

IronGiant

IronGiant

yeah, the recommendations from the rest of us were completely crap :devil:

nheather

Distinguished Member
I would step back and ask whether this is being a tad over-engineered.

Is this a professional hoop that a adult could hang from or a toy.

It's all very well securing the backboard to hold the weight of a adult hippo but if the hoop is simply attached to the backboard with some smallish screws\bolts then it is pretty pointless as the hoop will simply rip off the backboard.

If the hoop is not to be hung from then good sized screws and plastic rawlplugs will be plenty.

Cheers,

Nigel

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
i would always over engineer its not really any more hassle to drill all the way through a wall for bolts than to drill part of the way through for rawl plugs

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
shoestring25 said:
i would always over engineer its not really any more hassle to drill all the way through a wall for bolts than to drill part of the way through for rawl plugs

Depends if it is a double skin with a cavity or not though .....

D

Deleted member 51156

All you need is some 3 inch tens and brown plugs..Or 3 inch twelves..

IronGiant

Depends if it is a double skin with a cavity or not though .....

I was wondering about that.

I was also wondering how the heavy weight steel brackets are still hanging on my wall if there was no chance of the fixings I used working :)

signs

Banned
Dony , just get some coach bolts and plugs , or if it's breeze block some threaded rod, nuts, washers , and go straight through mate .

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
signs said:
Dony , just get some coach bolts and plugs , or if it's breeze block some threaded rod, nuts, washers , and go straight through mate .

As long as there isn't a cavity .....

IronGiant

But I'm not sure I'd want to bolt through it and overtighten the nut in case it imploded :)

Edit: what he said :)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom