DIY projector screen paint finally found for the uk! - black widow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the 3:1 mix, I contemplated using that for my screen for a long time and eventually settled for the 4:1. The main thing that kept me at 4:1 was that it was dark enough and when you add that much aluminum the screen starts to exhibit a 'graininess' to it. I never cared much for the grainy look to high gain screens and that kept me at the original formula.

So if you're contemplating the 3:1 mix you may want to order some extra paint and paint a test panel to try it out first. :smashin:

mech

Thanks for the crown paint mix Custard....

I ran my postcode through the store locators for both the Crown & Leyland mixes and strangely enough the mixing centres for both are right next to each other!!!

LEYLAND
UNIT 3
OLD FORD TRADING CENTRE
GB - MAVERTON ROAD E3 2JE

CROWN
UNIT 7
OLD FORD TRADING CENTRE
GB - MAVERTON ROAD E3 2JE

My AAA arrived this morning and will pop down on saturday to get the other paints. I was set on getting the S0907 and going for the 4:1 mix but seeing that the two centres are next to each other I am now confused as to which mix will be the best.

As i have a small screen size of 77 inches would the 3:1 Crown mix be better for me as I read that it is darker (better blacks) on the P,B&M III thread?

I am tempted to go for the 2:2:1 now and steer a middle path!

Regards

I am going to the same paint centre tomorrow. Small world LOL. Hopefully they won't be out of stock by the time you get there :)

i have received my AAA today and i have already got the crown mix.
so i will try to paint the first coat later on in the evening and then give everyone my views and hopefully some pics :)

i will revert back to S0907 if i am not happy :rolleyes:

i have received my AAA today and i have already got the crown mix.
so i will try to paint the first coat later on in the evening and then give everyone my views and hopefully some pics :)

i will revert back to S0907 if i am not happy :rolleyes:

I look forward to seeing that.

The first coat of S0907 and aaa is up, just waiting for it to dry.

This has to be the only exciting example of waiting for paint to dry :)

//edit - the S0907 is meant to be a slight salmony pink, right?

It doesn't look that dark either - i'm wondering whether the base was correct.

Last edited:
The first coat of S0907 and aaa is up, just waiting for it to dry.

This has to be the only exciting example of waiting for paint to dry :)

//edit - the S0907 is meant to be a slight salmony pink, right?

It doesn't look that dark either - i'm wondering whether the base was correct.

yes the paint is supposed to be that colour.
post us some pics when its dry.
if you are comparing to my screen i have just found out that my mix was slightly off which was making it darker:rolleyes:

warbie,

It should be this color:

S0907.jpg

Which I would consider to be salmony pink! ;)

mech

Cheers guys - that looks about right :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your mix Custard, hope it works out.

I'll put some picks up over the weekend of mine.

Ok, so my AAA arrived this morning after a delivery delay due to damage on the first batch. Had picked up my S0907 the other day, along with a measuring jug, roller and tray.

Note: I ordered 480ml of the AAA however they sent me 4 x 120ml, which actually worked out quite well for mixing the batch size I used, see below.

Some pics:

1) Materials
2) AAA and S0907 mixed (120ml of AAA to 480ml of S0907 = 600ml in jug) This is enough for 1 coat of a 120" screen in my estimation (roughly what i painted)
3) Wall before I started
4) Wall immediately after 1st coat
5) Projector on to see I had painted enough (you can see sparkles)
6) Close up of the sparkles from the AAA

Now waiting for it to dry, will probably use it tonight, and then apply a second coat tomorrow morning. Need to also get to work on preparing a screen frame. Wall was originally painted with Dulux Lace, whole room will shortly be painted chocolate suede once I've sorted out the screen.

Attachments

• 137.jpg
    137.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,281
  • 138.JPG
    138.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 1,326
  • 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,130
  • 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,872
  • 139.jpg
    139.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,466
  • 140.JPG
    140.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 1,344
I finished painting my screen last night and had a few hours to play around calibrating my projector. At the moment i'm a little torn. Contrast and depth of image are good - on par with my cream wall, but without giving a slight yellow/brown tinge - but the colours don't look as vibrant. I'm also noticing considerable speckly grainyness (technical term?). Dark/busy/colourful scenes are ok, but it becomes obvious on brighter, less detailed images (clear sky, white shirt etc) and rather distracting. I suspect this could be reduced with a nice smooth sprayed coat.

All in all i'm pretty happy - i'd rate it higher than screen goo at dealing with ambient light (but not for colour accuracy and brightness) and the image is a touch brighter than on my old high contrast pulldown. I can live with the slightly subdued colours and if it's possible to reduce the grainy look this will likely be a keeper.

So, still work in progress. Thanks for all the help guys and expect updates and pictures after the lounge has been bat caved as much as possible and i've managed to source a spraying machine :)

Last edited:
Ok, so my AAA arrived this morning after a delivery delay due to damage on the first batch. Had picked up my S0907 the other day, along with a measuring jug, roller and tray.

Note: I ordered 480ml of the AAA however they sent me 4 x 120ml, which actually worked out quite well for mixing the batch size I used, see below.

Some pics:

1) Materials
2) AAA and S0907 mixed (120ml of AAA to 480ml of S0907 = 600ml in jug) This is enough for 1 coat of a 120" screen in my estimation (roughly what i painted)
3) Wall before I started

Now waiting for it to dry, will probably use it tonight, and then apply a second coat tomorrow morning. Need to also get to work on preparing a screen frame. Wall was originally painted with Dulux Lace, whole room will shortly be painted chocolate suede once I've sorted out the screen.

well done on the paint job:thumbsup:

i have painted 6 coats of projector paint on my wall and i found that immediately after painting there was alot of sparklies. my guess is that it is due to wet paint. the sparklies reduce quite considerably after it has dried but then you may see some roller marks as you have only painted one coat.

what is concerning is the hotspot in the middle of the screen. did you use a flash for the photos??

as you can see from my previous images i dont have a hotspot in the middle of the screen.

post some pics after it has dried. i am expecting quite an improvement!!

i am also struggling to be able to view your last image of the close up sparklies - maybe its a problem with the site.

I finished painting my screen last night and had a few hours to play around calibrating my projector. At the moment i'm a little torn. Contrast and depth of image are good - on par with my cream wall, but without giving a slight yellow/brown tinge - but the colours don't look as vibrant. I'm also noticing considerable speckly grainyness (technical term?). Dark/busy/colourful scenes are ok, but it becomes obvious on brighter, less detailed images (clear sky, white shirt etc) and rather distracting. I suspect this could be reduced with a nice smooth sprayed coat.

All in all i'm pretty happy - i'd rate it higher than screen goo at dealing with ambient light (but not for colour accuracy and brightness) and the image is a touch brighter than on my old high contrast pulldown. I can live with the slightly subdued colours and if it's possible to reduce the grainy look this will likely be a keeper.

So, still work in progress. Thanks for all the help guys and expect updates and pictures after the lounge has been bat caved as much as possible and i've managed to source a spraying machine :)

i suspect your grainyness is being caused by having such a small screen size and using a high lumen rating projector. use of a filter may help but i think that you may have to increase brightness again

with regards to screen goo and high gain screens you have used before it would be expected that the image of them is brighter and colourful due to the gain being high. the problem with them is whites can be too bright, grainyness occurs, hotspotting, and they have a narrow viewing angle. actualy if you stand at the side of the high gain screens i think you will find that the image is not as vibrant.

black widow primarily helps people who have problems with ambient light. so it works in a similar way to your high contrast screen at a fraction of the cost:)

I haven't used a high gain screen before and my pj only shoots out 500 lumens in best mode. The screen goo screen was almost as grey as the black widow, perhaps one or two shades up, but the image was much brighter (as bright as my plain white pulldown) and the colours considerably more vibrant. The contrast wasn't as good, though, and it didn't give the nice crt looking image the 4:1 mix does. Screen size wise i'm locked in at 100" as the frame has already been built.

So far the 4:1 mix is good compromise and i'm hoping that a smoother finish will make the grain less distracting.

I haven't used a high gain screen before and my pj only shoots out 500 lumens in best mode. The screen goo screen was almost as grey as the black widow, perhaps one or two shades up, but the image was much brighter (as bright as my plain white pulldown) and the colours considerably more vibrant. The contrast wasn't as good, though, and it didn't give the nice crt looking image the 4:1 mix does. Screen size wise i'm locked in at 100" as the frame has already been built.

So far the 4:1 mix is good compromise and i'm hoping that a smoother finish will make the grain less distracting.

sorry i was mistaken. i thought your screen size was only 77inches
..... where did i get that from:suicide:

if you only outputting 500 lumens i would think you have boosted up yuor settings??? from my experience this can cause problems with the image. my friend has a projector which is outputting 700 lumens and we have struggled to get a decent picture becuase we had to boost up the setttings especially brightness.

anyway i will try to get more than 1 rolled coat on over the weekend. hopefully i can get a smooth coating. i will report back soon:smashin:

I find it's plenty bright with my plain white and goo screen. It's a JVC HD1, so isn't a light cannon, but does put out a good amount of contrast even wth some ambient light. You're probably right though, with that lumen rating it might be struggling with the grey screen - then again, it isstill very grainy.

gl with the second coat :)

Last edited:
I don't think it has anything to do with the lumens of the pj. My HC3000 is around 500-600 video optimized and the 4:1 works beautifully here. Did you buy the AAA-fine warbie? The only other thing I can think of would be buying the medium or coarse AAA by mistake. There should be no sparklies and no hot spotting whatsoever.

Here are some shots of how mine ended up:

Those last eight were taken to help show the difference between back lighting and no light. Figured they may be of use here.

mech

Here's some shots of the things you'll need if you will be spraying BW. A lot of this is the same for rolling - outside of the HVLP gun and the respirator mask.

You can click on any of the thumbnails for the larger picture.

mech

I did use aaa fine. Other than me getting the base wrong I can't think what the probem may be.

Some pics:

1) Materials
3) Wall before I started

eddie,

Can you really see sparklies from a distance? You shouldn't be able to see them at all from your viewing position. Up close - yes. But not from 5+ feet back.

Looks good though! :smashin: How many coats are you planning? I did 8 ( :eek: ) sprayed coats on mine which would probably be the equivalent of about three rolled coats.

Also, what nap roller cover are you using?

mech

Hi guys,

I have my AAA in hand and will be buying the s0907 tomorrow. Do i just make sure that the base is as matt as possible?

Regards

Hi guys,

I have my AAA in hand and will be buying the s0907 tomorrow. Do i just make sure that the base is as matt as possible?

Regards

hold fire a second! mech is contemplating wether we should use flat matt instead of the standard vinyl matt

hold fire a second! mech is contemplating wether we should use flat matt instead of the standard vinyl matt

Thanks..... tempted to go with flat matt but will see what Mech recommends before going ahead

well done on the paint job:thumbsup:

i have painted 6 coats of projector paint on my wall and i found that immediately after painting there was alot of sparklies. my guess is that it is due to wet paint. the sparklies reduce quite considerably after it has dried but then you may see some roller marks as you have only painted one coat.

what is concerning is the hotspot in the middle of the screen. did you use a flash for the photos??

as you can see from my previous images i dont have a hotspot in the middle of the screen.

post some pics after it has dried. i am expecting quite an improvement!!

i am also struggling to be able to view your last image of the close up sparklies - maybe its a problem with the site.

Cheers ! Yeah you were spot on, after it dried sparklies went away. Pics were taken while nearly finished painting with no flash, perhaps it was just a real wet patch at the time, not sure the camera is that great either. I can never take a good photo in the dark, but thats a separate thread I think.

Am currently watching BBC HD (Euro 2008) and as you said I can see a few roller marks which should be resolved with a 2nd coat tomorrow. I would say there is a definite improvement over what I had, however am waiting for others to comment (family are currently out), but viewing angle has improved for sure.

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 568
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom