DIY projector screen paint finally found for the uk! - black widow - Part 2

HDPete

Established Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
AAA has arrived, off to get the Johnstones tomorrow.

I have a JVC HD100 (600 lumens) and the cinema room has been painted deep purple on the Walls.

Should I have a White base coat under the BW screen? The purple wall is a perfect finish at the moment so don't really want to add to it unless i have to.

The room will be nice and dark as there's a single north facing window and there will be black out blinds. Any idea whether a 3:1 or 4:1 mix would be best with a JVC HD100?

Regards
Pete

As a painter and decorator I don't normally basecoat in white, theory being that it's just one more colour to cover up and you might as well be getting a coat of your final colour on instead.

Here, however, where you're not under time pressure to earn money, and where you're working from a deep purple, a coat of white to kill some of that darkness would be what I'd do.

Don't worry too much about your surface. The mixed paint, if you go 4:1, isn't too thick. I used Dulux. There will be no problem with another brand, but if it does seem a bit thick, don't be afraid to add a splash of water to loosen it.

The pile of your roller will have more effect on your finish. For some reason, I used a radiator roller with a short pile. Although this took longer, I did get a lovely smooth finish.

Good luck!

Folks, I ordered the Aluminimum paint, but the Medium version arrived instead of the Fine base. I urgently need to know if this will be a problem?

Please can someone advise.

(I have 2.5l of the main paint in flat matt, and 480ml of the Alu Medium.)

Yes it will be a problem. The medium was too large in my testing. You could try it if you like though. But be prepared to paint over it. :smashin:

Yes it will be a problem. The medium was too large in my testing. You could try it if you like though. But be prepared to paint over it. :smashin:

Thanks Mech. I appreciate your advice.

Ill send it back as it will save me money.

It's a shame the old thread was closed.

I've just been adding up the cost of the bits to make a screen (roughly 2.4m x 1.4m in size). It comes in at well over £100. Surely I can buy a decent/comparable grey screen for this much? No?

I've just finished making a 3m x 1.27m 1:2.35 screen frame from hardwood. Covered it in Devore velvet which is not cheap either. Painted the black widow 3 coats too. Now drying.

However, I now have the following left over:

0.5m x 4m length of Devore Velvet
At least 1.5 litre of Black Widow dulux flat Matt
At least 1 litre of Black Widow Leyland vinyl Matt. I have this from a previous job I did but forgot I still had it, so made more before realising.

I may put it up for sale to recoup some costs and save other people sone money too. :)

LightBright said:
Me? Chimney breast

Me too. I skimmed mine over with Easifill, sanded then painted the whole thing. Works a treat. Grey goes with a lot of colours, I don't have a fixed screen dominating the room and can move the picture around the wall if need be. YMMV.

I take it you are using white foamex ? The only reason I would consider painting is if your room is a light colour :confused:

Seriously? You described the scenario then dismissed it and became confused?

Is it just me, or does this paint 'settle' and look better after a few days after painting? Initially my whites looked almost blue, but now they seem much better?

Last edited:
I made photo of “Black Widow EU (UK)” and “Celexon” white projector screen side by side...
  • 4 parts (960ml) of “Johnstone's Covaplus Vinyl Matt Finish” tinted (NCS color code: S 0907 Y70R) paint from Johnstone's or Leyland Trade.
  • 1 part (240ml) of “Auto-Air Aluminium Base Fine” (code: 4101) paint from Createx Auto Air Colors.
Results of grayscale range:

Original_Celexon_Black_Widow.png

Orignal: 0-255 (range: 255)
Celexon: 11-193 (range: 182)
BW-EU: 7-168 (range: 161)

I think, “Celexon” has better range partly, because of higher gain (glossiness). Black Widow EU (UK) is more matte and therefore spread light to sides more:

(white corner-center: 180-205) (difference: 25) Celexon
(white corner-center: 163-173) (difference: 10) BW-EU

I would recommend to change mix slightly and increase glossiness (gain) and brightness of “Black Widow EU (UK)”, by adding to mix some part of glossier white color.

I will try to do another comparison after 1 month and will check, if paint will change its characteristics (as surface should slightly flatten and become glossier).

Last edited:
Hi, I am a complete nooby to this and I am halfway through my own DIY cinema build http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1689909-loft-conversion-home-cinema-2012-a.html. I have read and read many forums on DIY screens and this paint seems to be the best answer. I also read that using canvas for the screen is also a good idea. I am sitting 4m back from the screen so I guess I wont see fine pattern on the canvas itself?

My questions are would a 586 Universal Primed Extra Fine Finest Italian Cotton 253gsm canvas be OK for the screen? my room will be painted dark so light should not be too much of an issue. I have a Panasonic PTAT5000e projector with 2000 Lumen. How many coats of paint will I need and will I have to use a base coat and if so what colour? I am going to put an outer frame around the screen but will figure that out later. Is stapling the best way to get a taught canvas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

image-1969002168.jpg

image-2863790215.jpg

My black widow wall and picture of Olympics. Bit blurry photo, doesn't really do it justice, but much simpler than making a canvas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom