DIY projector screen paint finally found for the uk! - black widow - Part 2

Picked the dulux up today and the AAA I had already. So I'm doing 0.5lt to 120 of AAA and 15 percent water yeah?
Spray day tomorrow.....apprehensive but what the hell.
Sounds right mate! The spraying easy just build up the layers

I think u need 75 ml of water ! Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong

Yeah i just went of the .5 litre of paint so ud be close enough
I watered mine down 20 percent for 155"

Hi guys, I currently have a room painted magnolia. No ambient light. Benq w1070 projector. I do eventually plan on blacking out the room, but that's not happening yet and if it does I can repaint the screen wall, so I'm thinking of getting the best results for now with the room the way it is. Grey steel 1?

Last edited:
So what's 15 percent water in ml? I'm only used to kg and gr.
93ml mate.

It's 15% of total mixture (620ml)

You don't have to get the water exactly right.

Make sure you mix the dulux and AAA well, this is the key. Paint has to be consistent

Hi guys, I currently have a room painted magnolia. No ambient light. Benq w1070 projector. I do eventually plan on blacking out the room, but that's not happening yet and if it does I can repaint the screen wall, so I'm thinking of getting the best results for now with the room the way it is. Grey steel 1?
But the look of the thread most of the guys here went for grey steel 2 ! PIctures great on my screen

I tell you what I'll pick up some samples today of both. I might as well mix up some BW with both and take some pics afterwards.

I'm wishing now that I had went for GS1 as I'm finding the GS2 a bit light for my tastes for daytime viewing.

I'm also starting to realise that the black level in general isn't that great on my rather low end projector the HD141x.

Well my benq has brilliantly vivid colour but the black levels aren't the projectors strong point which is why I'm considering the gs1. My only concern is whether I'd have murky whites.

I'm wishing now that I had went for GS1 as I'm finding the GS2 a bit light for my tastes for daytime viewing.

I'm also starting to realise that the black level in general isn't that great on my rather low end projector the HD141x.

ohhh, the upgrade bug is kicking in :D

good thing with GS2 you can easily paint over with GS1, not sure if you went from GS1 to GS2 though, of course will cost the price of the paint, im guessing you only need 500ml Dulux and 1x 120ml AAA, so maybe a cheap solution.

Last edited:
I guess whichever you get, you'll always wonder whether the other might've been better.

I guess whichever you get, you'll always wonder whether the other might've been better.

of course but then i think of the amount of money saved rather than buying a high end screen (~£1500 for 120"?), i then feel better :D

Oh yeah I'm not saying it's not a good idea, just that if you're doing it on a wall you'll wonder afterwards whether 1 or 2 would be better. If it's a screen it doesn't matter as you can make 2 and use the one you prefer.

I'll probably use the grey steel 1 as I want the blacks to be blacker than a black mans coal shed with the lights off.

Anyway when I collected the samples there were two options, matt and flat matt. Matt has a low sheen, while flat matt doesn't.

I'm inclined to think flat matt would be the best as it's the least reflective, but then that may work against it.

Any advice?

Last edited:
ohhh, the upgrade bug is kicking in :D

good thing with GS2 you can easily paint over with GS1, not sure if you went from GS1 to GS2 though, of course will cost the price of the paint, im guessing you only need 500ml Dulux and 1x 120ml AAA, so maybe a cheap solution.
Yeah the upgrade bug was always going to be there and is ever present when looking at the forums i find.

Yeah I can always peel off the border tape and overspray in GS1 for about £25 costs for AAA and GS1 as i have everything else but I'm in the middle of getting some sample materials from screen manufacturers to first see if its the screen i'm not happy with or the projector.

I'm happy with the projector in every other way other than the fact the black's are still grey. They're a darker grey than they would be with say a white screen but in a completely dark room as with my video's in my screen thread you can see very little difference with black levels as the surface of the screen is near black anyway.

The projected "black" of the HD141x has a light green tint to it and as such is a bit distracting when watching a dark scene in a movie.

Yeah I went for the GS2 over the GS1 I did consider it though while I was in homebase. But overall I'm happy with the optoma hd141x up to now...The dynamic black don't seem to do much though.

Ste0803 is that your first projector mate or you been projectoring for a while?
I've had a few, Optoma HD65, Mitsubishi HC3800 and now this Optoma HD141X. Each of these have had their own screen built for them, the HC3800 had an original black widow mix and over 100 inches in size.

No one tried the flat matt then instead of standard matt? Standard has low sheen, flat has none.

I was tempted to get the flat matt but decided to stick with what the guys on here suggested and I'm more than happy with result...I think there's a vast difference in colour between GS1 and GS2. Was tempted with GS1 but it's in a living room and thought the wifey would whinge......more so than normal anyway lol.
I'm not sure the flat matt would have same results to be honest but suppose we need a guinea pig mate

What dulux paint did you get?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom