DIY projector screen paint finally found for the uk! - black widow - Part 2

Well, I'm finally getting my canvas frame made (only a year behind schedule) very shortly, should finally be able to put the paint, ultra fine canvas and flock tape to use! Will only be a 6ft (width) screen but bedroom viewing distance etc etc. Be an interesting experiment.

Hi
I've had a quick look at this thread so might have missed this, but has anyone else found that the randomly appearing pixel flecks of light is quite off-putting? I'm sure I used the correct mix but have I done something wrong perhaps?
Dan

Hi
I've had a quick look at this thread so might have missed this, but has anyone else found that the randomly appearing pixel flecks of light is quite off-putting? I'm sure I used the correct mix but have I done something wrong perhaps?
Dan

No pixel flex here mate, or any other time I've painted it. :)

Guys, would anyone have a little bit of ready mixed Black Widow left over that you could send me to try? I only need enough to paint about 50cm x 50cm sample sheet to try.

Guys, would anyone have a little bit of ready mixed Black Widow left over that you could send me to try? I only need enough to paint about 50cm x 50cm sample sheet to try.

Anyone? :lease:

Has anyone tried to use Black Widow on a Foamex sheet? I have 5mm 8ft x 4ft sheet and not sure how it would react to being sprayed.

Due to a change of plans, I'm not able to have a new DIY screen:mad:

This means the two 120ml containers I bought in January have to be sold. I'm offering them at less than the normal price from the UK supplier, so somebody can make some savings. The two containers are unopened and in mint nick! EDIT - paint now sold

If this is of interest, please see the thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...int-auto-air-aluminium-base.html#post18662892

Uk based buyers only please.

Last edited:
If anybody else is considering painting Foamex, palight, etc etc please PM me for advice .

I work with this stuff day in day out and have done for over 30 years (the clue is in my user name ;) :))

I'd be interested in hearing your views on painting the Foamex or in my case Foamalite (or referred to as Sintra in the USA I think).

I was just going to spray it with a spray gun.

Hi
Dan

More than likely what has happened is that you had bubbles develop while you were painting your screen. The aluminum tends to gather in these bubbles and when they pop, it creates what you are seeing now.

So the brilliant white is definitely the wrong paint then. Could you tell me exactly the paint I have to buy because I can't seem to find it online? Thanks for the help.

Go to Leylands and tell them you need the s0907-y70r. They should know what you mean.

It's not supposed to be white, it's tinted (pinkish). Once you add the aluminium paint it turns grey. It's supposed to be vinyl matt, though, rather than brilliant white, so that may not work.

Hi all.
I'm waiting to take delivery of a optoma HD25 and have decided to project directly on the wall.
The thing is, its not in a dedicated cinema room but in our lounge so painting grey isnt really a option.
The wall is very flat and free of imperfections and the projector is only really going to be used to watch movies in the evening in nearly total darkness.
I'm just wondering what regular paint (if any) would be best suited and give the best results.
We would probably just go for an off white colour.
Also,I'm hoping to get started tomorrow evening so it needs to be widely available.
Thanks in advance
Gaz

Anyone? :lease:

Has anyone tried to use Black Widow on a Foamex sheet? I have 5mm 8ft x 4ft sheet and not sure how it would react to being sprayed.

:lease:

FYI

Createx, the makers of AAA, have changed the formula for their aluminum paint. They have gone from a liquid aluminum additive to a powdered one. This new formulation no longer results in a neutral paint when mixed with the current base paint. We're currently in contact with Createx and we're working on finding/testing a new base paint for this formulation. Until all of this happens, we no longer recommend using BW™.

It took several months to get this formulation down. I expect it to take as long for the new one. If you have some of the old AAA, you should be fine. But the new AAA does not result in a neutral gray.

Sorry folks but it was out of our hands.
:(

Last edited:
argh! i was just gonna get a cheapish pull down screen and try BW on it to see how it held up.

totaly regret giving the the paint away to a fried when i realised a fixed 120" screen wouldnt work for me

Harpmaker is very optimistic about the new AAA, which is rubbing off on me. It may actually be just as simple in the future. Bear with us.

Hi. I have a Hitachi ed-x10 with 2000 lumins has anyone got some info on getting a brighter picture. Its projected on a basic matt white paint, I use my xbox on it and when i play any game or watch any film the blacks are to black and i cant see anything and the whites are very white and i cant see anything, the picture is misty or foggy!!! so want to get more depth on the picture and to get it brighter. so if anybody knows the projector i have and knows what to do with it or anybody has any info what so ever, all info will be appreciated.
Regards TTCT.

Hi. I have a Hitachi ed-x10 with 2000 lumins has anyone got some info on getting a brighter picture. Its projected on a basic matt white paint, I use my xbox on it and when i play any game or watch any film the blacks are to black and i cant see anything and the whites are very white and i cant see anything, the picture is misty or foggy!!! so want to get more depth on the picture and to get it brighter. so if anybody knows the projector i have and knows what to do with it or anybody has any info what so ever, all info will be appreciated.
Regards TTCT.

Start a new thread. You're looking in the wrong place.

Could anyone be kind enough to advise please?

I was going to paint my screen with this mix over a year a go but never got round to it!..... I have now decided I would like to do it.

I have 2 x screens... 1 = 92" 2 = 130"

I would like to make a mix up for both screens,

I have 2 x bottles of these

Can anyone advise on what else I need to buy and how much to add etc?

Thanks so much!!!

Did you get that AAA a year ago? If so, you should be good to go. If not, can you take a picture of the UPC label?

Yer I got it around 7 months a go

From reading I just need to add the 2 bottles to a 1lt tin of S 0907 Y70R (scoop 40ml of it out? to = 960ml?)

There is no leyland paints where I live, can I course the paint from B&Q or homebase?

One last thing! :) will the mix I make only cover my 92" screen or is there a chance I can do both? last screen is 140" odd

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom