DIY Projector for $300 USD that actually works.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by philharmonic, Nov 15, 2004.

1. philharmonic

philharmonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I figured its a good idea to pass this link along. Tom's Hardware did a how-to on assembling your very own projector using a 15" lcd from an older TFT monitor and a standard overhead projector. Total cost? Approximately $300USD.

Link

2. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seen it before, but it's not a bad idea for DIY projector on a small budget. The artical shows a lack of understanding of the important aspects of projction though, placing more emphasis on brightness rather than contrast. I would think better results would be obtained by shielding the stray light from the projector as well. A ceiling mount might be tricky....

3. h4mill

h4mill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks good maybe I should reconsider :)

Always wondered what those things on ebay were all about!

4. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 100" TV scams on Ebay are simply plans to use a normal TV as a projector using a fresnel lens. This requires you to use you TV upside down, and gives a picture so dark you won't even see it unless the room is completely black.