DIY Power block

Stereo Steve

Ex Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 gang mains socket behind my hifi unit and I plan to fit it with surge protected sockets. Clearly I need to expand this somewhow as I have more than 2 things plugged into it. I have looked at 6 gang extension blocks but the hifi ones appear to hundreds of quid. Now, bearing in mind that my mains uses 2.5mm T+E, would I be losing anything by getting 2 decent plugs, two short lengths of T+E and 2 3 gang faceplates with plastic back boxes and making up 2 extension blocks. It would effectively be 2 spurs and each item would be plugged directly into the mains, without crappy extension block wiring.

What would I be losing with this over a Russ Andrews power block (the one without filters). I plan to upgrade the actual power leads to my gear with decently constructed ones in the future.

Any thoughts? Also, those mains cleaners that RA sell that plug in a socket near your gear, are they any good and are they as good as an actual mains filter block?

Originally posted by Stereo Steve
Also, those mains cleaners that RA sell that plug in a socket near your gear, are they any good and are they as good as an actual mains filter block?

Bump - Also interested in the plug-ins, anyone use them?

Make one of these :

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/hydra_e.html

I did, and it is fantastic...much better than a crappy mains splitter. It does take some time to plait the cable, but its worth it in the end ! Follow the instructions and you can't go wrong !
I think I could tell a difference in the clarity of the sound produced, however, it could just have been psychological due to the amount of time spent making the damn thing !!!

Paul

Originally posted by pscolling
Make one of these :

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/hydra_e.html

I did, and it is fantastic...much better than a crappy mains splitter. It does take some time to plait the cable, but its worth it in the end ! Follow the instructions and you can't go wrong !
I think I could tell a difference in the clarity of the sound produced, however, it could just have been psychological due to the amount of time spent making the damn thing !!!

Paul

Paul,

Which TNT cable did you use with the hydra? Assume it was the Merlino?

Been thinking of doing this. Just got to find the time!

Didn't use the Merlino, I simply followed the instructions for the Hydra and used " three lengths (live, neutral and earth) of 1.5mm solid core mains wire, plaited a la Kimber". This seems to work fine, although i'm tempted to make another using the Merlino cable to see if there is much of a difference.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom