DIY - Planing a door edge - which one?

Kristian

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning,

I've got two relatively new external wooden gates/doors which are now stuck in their frames. They've obviously expanded a bit since being installed and I need to plane off a few mm. The question is, do I plane off the hinge side and deepen the hinge beds or plane off the lock side and deepen the lock (and maybe have to move the handle a bit?)?

Cheers,

Kris.

Personally I'd do the hinge side which will always be out of sight. Besides moving hinges is far easier than a door handle furniture.

Seconding what Mr I said, far easier to sink in hinges again than it is to have to sink in a lock, which will involve moving the handle if it has a spindle going through.

Do the lock side.. Also have the doors got a leading edge planed on them? If not this will make them stick..

John.

Seconding what Mr I said, far easier to sink in hinges again than it is to have to sink in a lock, which will involve moving the handle if it has a spindle going through.

And which may leave an unsightly mark if the cover plate moves too far and reveals where it was pre-move. Deffo hinge side.

I am going with the pro and saying lockside , shouldn't need to mess about removing them from the frames then ....

Hinge side.
Much easier than faffing around with the handles, lock escutcheons etc which may need to move, leaving screw holes etc to be filled.

Leave the hinges on the door frame, if you can, and get a mate to help you remount the door if you've never hung one yourself before. But it should be easy enough to pick up the existing screw holes again.

Just my opinion having done a few in my hoose over the summer.:smashin:

Well seen as i have hung a couple of thousand doors :smashing: The problem with taking it off the hinge side is you will be moving the door over a couple of mm etc evenly.. The door more than likely will be sticking at a couple of areas not the full length.
Removing it from lock edge you can see where it is sticking and plane at these points,then give it a try. If it still sticks take a bit more off.
A leading edge is this.. Not the best of drawings :D but you get the idea.

John.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 140
Thanks John, and others. The first task will be to get the doors open. One of them was so tight that I gave up trying because I knew it wouldn't close again until I'd actually done the planing.

Make sure you use a very sharp plane, don't use one thats been stuck rusting in the garage for the last 5 years :smashing:

John..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom