DIY - peeling paint - advice wanted

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I have a room that was previously a bathroom that will now be a wardrobe. As it is a Victorian house there is cornice round the ceiling / top of wall.

The cornice, due to water I think, has now got paint that is cracking on the surface. I think it is old gloss paint as well and I want to finish it with emulsion. I also suspect there is some mould on there as well (so a lot going on there).

I am wiping it down currently with a view to put 1 or 2 coats of BIN stain and mould blocker on it. However I am not sure what to do about cracking?

Is best approach to give it a light sand where it is cracked to remove the flakes? Is there anything else I should do?

I then planned to apply the bin paint, then super grip undercoat x2 (used in bathroom on gloss cornice and worked a treat) before applying the emulsion?

Anything else I should consider?

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Oh here are a couple of pics...

D2CE49A9-303A-4121-B11E-1822E30EED4A.jpeg
8AF48372-BD0E-41DF-B0F4-72E1A88E4E50.jpeg

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
I would certainly remove all loose flaking paint. Then with fine sand paper feather edges to blend.

Edit: any cracks as opposed to flaking paint, I would slightly open then apply filler before finally rubbing down.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom