• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DIY NAS, on it's way but have a major stumbling block

Chrisoldinho

Prominent Member
I've ressurected my old PC, a 2.2Ghz (overclocked to 2.4 - will detune again as stability is more important than performance here) with 512MB SD RAM PC133 and 2x 40GB ATA100 HDD's ( one of the HDD's has an error on it at about 35GB so I can only partition the first 34GB ish before it goes wrong :rolleyes: ) - But they are both identical so I was considering some form of RAID array on them. It also has a 10/100 NIC. I sold the dedicated graphics card as it's not any use on this project.

I'm going to install FreeNAS on it as that seems ideal, but I have one BIG hitch.

The case, it's just too big. I'm wanting to put my newly created NAS in a Cabinet and the dimensions of the case are both too high and deep.

Can anyone recommend a dirt cheap (otherwise not worthwhile) Mini Chassis (no more than 35cm high, 25cm deep including the power cable)? I have about 45cm to play with in width so ideally a Horizontal case would be the best bet I think, somekind of mini horizontal case. Donations gladly accepted :D

I don't want to spend £60 on a basic NAS when all I need is a smaller case.

If it's possible to connect the NAS to the Router Wirelessly I have a Wireless NIC and would be happy to do this at the expense of performance.

Thanks for any help, Chris.

ralphmalph

Established Member
Freenas cab work with wireless cards, but they do not recommend it. You may have to set it up using a wired connection at first and then when it is as you want it just use the wireless then.

I use freenas and it has been very stable and very good value.

Chrisoldinho

Prominent Member
Freenas cab work with wireless cards, but they do not recommend it. You may have to set it up using a wired connection at first and then when it is as you want it just use the wireless then.

I use freenas and it has been very stable and very good value.

Thanks for the response, I might do this for the time being then as it'll give me a lot of flexibility and all other devices in my home are Wireless so having one device that is Ethernet won't make a great deal of difference - obviously long term I will just buy a NAS - Bit this is a good temporary fix :thumbsup:

ralphmalph

Established Member
I can guarantee that after you use freenas for a while you will not buy a dedicated NAS. You will realise that you would lose too much functionality and flexibility and performance.

You may well buy some more harddisks to put into your freenas box though.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom