• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question DIY mounting advice for projector screen

Joshm74

Standard Member
Hi all,

Apologies for the long post but would appreciate some advice on mounting my new 150" 4:3 electric projector screen. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homegear-150-Electric-Motorised-Projector/dp/B00PU68P1K)

Basically, I'd like to 'DIY' my own wall-mount for it, as the screen only has two 4mm wall-mounting holes (one on either end), which doesn't give me any confidence with regards to strength. The screen itself is 3.4m wide and weighs 16Kg and would be mounted to a solid brick wall.

For my DIY plan, I was thinking of fixing four of these heavy duty B&Q angle brackets to the wall (two brackets on either end of the screen for extra strength) then resting the screen on top of them:

Steel Heavy Duty Bracket | Departments | DIY at B&Q

The screen would be screwed onto the inner pair of the brackets from underneath to hold it securely.

Would this solution be suitable or is it overkill/unnecessary?

If it is feasible, then which screws/bolts would be best to fix the brackets to the wall? The mounting holes in the brackets are 6mm wide, so I was thinking of using either one of the following:

M6 Thunderbolts (6mm x 100mm):
M5, M6, GENUINE THUNDERBOLT® TORX COUNTERSUNK MASONRY CONCRETE ANCHOR SCREW BOLT

Or M6 Rawlplug anchor bolts (6mm x 70mm):
Rawlplug RawlBolts M6 x 70mm Pack of 5

However, I’ve read that expansion bolts like the rawlplugs should not be fixed too close to the edge of the brick, otherwise they can put too much strain on it and cause the brick to split. Is this true? Since my brick wall is covered in plaster and wallpaper, I have no idea whereabouts in the brickwork the bolts will penetrate – should I therefore avoid using anchor bolts?

Would appreciate any advice anyone can give and thanks in advance!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom