1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Mains leads (Chris VenHaus recipes)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by StooMonster, Feb 28, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Couple of days ago, I ordered up some bits and pieces from Chris VenHaus to follow his designs. VH Audio. Shouldn't be long before the various bits and pieces arrive by courier.

Anyone tried out his AC power lead recipes?

StooMonster

2. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    In the process of doing exactly the same using Flavor#1,where did you get your Belden 83802 cable from and how much ?

3. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No but I have seen the Belden its very good, I dont think the new cable is quite as good as the Belden but is his own, he is running a business so you can see why he likes his own brands.

That and the Belden seem to be made the same way, IE flavor 1,2,3,4, ect

Thanks

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    As I said, I ordered up the pieces from Chris VenHaus (directly). Prices as per his web-site, shipping is $22.

I did a little cost benefit analysis of where to buy required components (UK vs US), and including shipping it appeared to be cheaper ordering them from him; although I could've saved a couple of dollars sourcing the Wattgates from elsewhere in US (but would've paid for more shipping).

I think his own cable looks like pretty good spec.

I am making up 2 x "flavor #1" and 3 x "flavor #2" and using silver plated MK Tough Plugs.

Only challenge was finding the 3/8" bore air hose for "flavor #2" in UK, as couldn't find any US supplier to ship and UK air hose is typically 3/8" outer dimension. Found some though, but had to order 50"; so if anyone wants some I'll sell it off by the foot.

Looking forward to a little DIY project. :clown:

Will probably also experiment with different cable too, that LAT International cable from Audusa looks pretty good.

StooMonster

5. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Didn't realise he was doing his own cable,last time I looked it was the Belden being used and he didn't have the order page enabled,if I'd been patient I would of ordered the lot off Chris,but have managed to source most of the other stuff from Audusa etc,am using the wattgate and silver MK's for my amp,plasma,dvd and Sky the rest is gonna be plain vanilla stock from B&Q.The earth I'll be using is 1.5mm solid core sheathed as have not found anything similar to what Chris uses,will proabaly be interested in the hose as I might give Flavor #2 a try as well,keep me posted as to how u get on.
    Cheers
    Rob

6. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much per foot for the hose :confused:

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Not much, will know better when it arrives (next week sometime).

Need to check that it works first before I sell it anyone!

StooMonster

8. ChrisVH

ChrisVH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, guys.

>>>I dont think the new cable is quite as good as the Belden but >>>is his own, he is running a business so you can see why he >>>likes his own brands.

I thought I should respond to this to clear some things up.

I engineered this new wire from the ground-up after a year of design tweaking. It was purpose-built specifically for use in audio equipment, and the raw materials used are as good or higher quality than the Belden.

The biggest difference between my new wire and the Belden is the following:

Instead of 1 twist every three inches, my new wire has one twist every inch. This reduces the inductance, raises the capacitance, and further helps reject RFI/EMI (a good thing).

Instead of 9 strands of 20 AWG tinned copper, my new cable uses 19 strands of 26 AWG tinned copper. This allows more surface contact area when attached to a plug, as it will compress more readily. I found that going much smaller than 26 AWG started to negatively affect the sound...

The new cable has a clear jacket vs. the bright red of the Belden.

Now, if you want to build a "Flavor 2" power cord, you may simply buy the twisted pair instead of ripping the guts out of the Belden. This saves you money.

The Teflon ground wire I found to further improve the sound of my designs...

Lastly, this new wire is being sold at or near my cost, so I can get it into the hands of as many audiophiles as possible. I am hopeful reviews will be forthcoming, and then I can increase my prices to reflect their true value, and actually start to make some $$$ doing this.

I will put these designs with the new wire up against ANY power cable out there at ANY price. They are THAT good. But I'll let you guys decide...

Pictures of the wire may be found here: http://venhaus1.com/VH_Audio_Test.html

Have a great week!

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Thanks for the post ChisVH.

Sad that I am, I have been doing a lot of research on mains cables; and IMHO these cables specs look very good. The only tweak I can see would be to use PTFE Teflon rather than FEP Teflon, but this is only a minor quibble and I guess would increase the price.

In fact, I tried to source some PTFE Teflon tubing in UK for "Flavor 2"; could easily find the right bore but not with sufficient thickness of walls, so went with the air-hose.

All I need now is for the stuff to arrive (hopefully this week), and Audusa to be back in stock of silver plated MK Tough Plugs (last estimate, mid March).

StooMonster

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Cheers! ChrisVH's box arrived today; cable looks fantastic, Wattgates look serious.

Jeers! Audusa won't have silver plated silver plated MK Tough Plugs in stock until the end of March. :(

StooMonster

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    HEY STOO: Shall I bring my mains cable with me when I come down to see you guys;)

Gordon

12. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    How much was your total order and did you have to pay customs charges. I am very interested in trying this for myself. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Darren

13. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Yes please, we'll do a shoot out! ChrisVH vs GordonCAV.

StooMonster

14. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Let me think...
    4x Wattgates @ $19.99
    6' of "flavor 1" @ $11.94
    9' of "flavor 2" @ $12.51
    19' of "ground" @ $11.21
    6' of 3/8" sleeve @ $4.41
    9' of 1/2" sleeve @ $8.26
    (I ordered too much heat shrink for recipte, but will use it all anyway and have entirely black cables)
    6' of 0.47" black heat shirk @ $6.12
    9' of 1.00" black heat shirk @ $18.36 [oops]
    Shipping @ $26.00
    Total $178.77 or approximately £110 for five cables (using different connector to Wattgate for one).

ChrisVH sent via United States Postal Service, I had no import duty! (Which is amazing these days, since everything I get delivered via courier has taxes and duty.)

Plus £9 each cable for silver plated MK Tough Plug (when ever they are available).

Equates to £31 per cable for five (hopefully) very good mains cables, at least better than Russ Andrews YellO at £30 plus postage.

Although I bought a couple of regular MK Tough Plugs in B&Q yesterday @ £2.51 each, I am going to wait until I get the silver plated plugs before putting these together. Have seen these plugs for £2.32 each in local supplier, but it was too far to drive for 19p difference on two plugs. ;)

Also bought an Astra Super Grip Plug for £3.08, these are the plugs with the big pull grip on them favoured by some expensive mains cable manufacturers.

Also of note, bought MK Electric's unswitched double socket from logic range for less than £4 at B&Q, Russ Andrews charge £19.99 for exactly the same socket. Also got a single socket version for just over £2, Russ Andrews charge £14.99 for exactly the same socket.

StooMonster

15. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like you have some nice neat kit to put together,I think you cables will be on a much higher plane that than the ru$$ andrew$ cables.

hope you didnt or dont get hit by customs, you can ask people nicely if they will put gift on the package.

Also I have seen the Red Hospital grade mk toughplugs on some sites I dont no if they are any cheaper.

You could proberly get all the fuse holder and parts plated silver for a fair bit cheaper,

all the best

D

16. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    hehe. Looking forward to putting them together, and hearing the results; I'm sure the first couple will be fun. :clown:

As I said, there was no tax or duty to pay -- I think this was because the package was sent via post and not courier. Good point about "gift", although doesn't always work. ;)

B&Q also sell the red MK Electric tough plugs, at same price as the black ones. Again, I've seen them for £2.30ish elsewhere; also have a friend-of-a-friend who is a MK wholesaler, so can possibly tap him for some at cost price. :)

Get silver plating done myself? Actually, good plan and I spoke to local silver platers about it the other day; they have done MK Tough Plugs before and are cheaper than effectively £6.70 per plug from Audusa. But I wanted at least one Audusa plug to compare, or show them. Perhaps I can forgo this -- three weeks is too long to wait to put these mains cables together.

Wonder if I could also get the Wattgates silver plated?

StooMonster