1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY mains lead (figure 8) shootout...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by StooMonster, May 8, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Quick comparison of IEC 320 type C7 (or "figure 8") mains leads.

Sky+ unit with standard "free" lead versus Mark Grant's Figure-8 mains lead.

Now I've heard good things about Mark's IEC mains lead, and even better things about his new Figure-8 lead (most people use for Sky digiboxes).

I was kind of sceptical about it making a difference to my Sky+, not because I don’t believe mains leads make a difference, but because in between Sky+ and Panny5 50” plasma is a JS-Tech RGB2YUV converter and a Silicon Image iScan Ultra.

Using Mark's cable, the first thing that struck me was the improvement in sound. I had to double check as I use optical digital link from Sky+ (and previously my old Sony digibox) to amplifier, and I have no idea why it would be improved; but it is. Clearer range, crisper and more precise all round, and very open sound; but the most interesting change is that I have had to turn the volume down on the amplifier from its usual setting as the signal is louder. It certainly passes the wife test, as she just asked me why the Sky+ volume is louder and needs a lower setting on the amp.

Secondly, as I said above I was sceptical that it would make any difference at all to the image; but again, it does. Even through (the excellent) JS-Tech RGB2YUV and iScan Ultra the picture has a more vivid clarity, deeper contrast with richer and more natural colours.

I am amazed. Regular "free" lead is heading for the great cable basket in the sky, or at least the loft.

Another great cable from Mark Grant, highly recommended; I think I may have to order up another one for my JS-Tech converter boxes, and another one for my old Sky (new FTA) digibox, and another…

StooMonster

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Now if only I could find similar wire, I could make my own!

I may have to get one of Mark's latest IEC to compare again my own ones (ChrisVH recipe and parts), and perhaps even GordonF's famous lead (when he's down here calibrating my plasma).

StooMonster

3. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How can I get hold of one of these DIY fig 8 mains leads?

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Send a PM to Mark Grant. He also does a "reference" version with silver plated plugs; and it's not expensive either.

StooMonster

5. cradleoffilth

cradleoffilth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much are they?

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Send him a PM at "Mark Grant", you'll be suprised at how cheap.

I think -- but could be wrong -- that the most basic version (without silver plugs) is a mere £25ish.

Found Mark to be friendly, responsive and sends cables very prompty.

As this is the DIY forum, you could make your own up. ;)

StooMonster

7. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree with Stoo, I've just received a fig of 8 cable from Mark. It was £25 incl p&p and arrived well packed and very promptly. The cable is made to a very high standard and as far as I'm concened, far out performs a £30 Russ Andews Yello cable.