Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DIY Mains Help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ajt, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ajt

ajt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so I've read through the sticky at the top of this forum and am still non the wiser with what I should do.

Here's the situation:
    I've got a Sharp LCD + media box, CD player, DVD, Amp, PS2, Sky+ all connected to the mains via their original cables into a cheapo spike protected 8 way extension.
    a) it looks a mess
    b) it can't be good for any of the equipment or the speaker cables which have to run a near the mains extension.

My thoughts are theses:
    - As I'm a bit short of space, are there any distribution blocks that don't use plugs? Must be better the less connections right? Suppose plugs are more convenient so is there anything smaller than a UK 3 pin?
    - Happy to replace the original cables. Should I be using different types for the LCD and Amp?
    - Should I have a filter or just surge protection between the distribution block and wall socket
    - Budget could be a couple of hundred pounds if its likely to make a difference to the picture or sound.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds like you could be a candidate for a couple of TNT Hydras:
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/hydra_e.html

There's no point in spending a few hundred on power cables - the money would be much better spent elsewhere on your system, on media or just on some nice food and drink to go with it all! :)

3. ajt

ajt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. Just what I want.

Agree on not spending hundreds but as I was going to trim the cables down to length at the very least I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

4. ajt

ajt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had another thought... If I've got 4 home made platted cables coming out of the multi-way plug could I plat those (or whatever you do with 4 rather than 3) into one big cable for the run from the plug to near the back of the equipment and split them out there or does this mess up the RFI attenuation properties?

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I don't think you'll have much success getting big braided cables into one of those plug sockets, I'd go with a good quality normal mains cable.

I suppose you could weave the cables going to your equipment but it sounds like a lot of unnecessary work to me, I would be inclined to just bundle them together perhaps with some expandable nylon braid or just electrical tape! :)

6. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I've got one of these micromark units and they're pretty good as long as the kit rack is close to the wall socket, else you get a long run of four cables instead of 1.

7. ajt

ajt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting stuff. All my kit is in the fire place (obviously no fire :)) with the LCD wall mounted above. All this DIY cabling is about to be done as I'm going to drill some holes at the back of the fire place to get the cables in from the mains socket rather than them having to go round the the fire place and in from the front. Picture would say a 1000 words but I haven't got one to hand.

So a single cable from the socket to an 8 way gang in the fire place would probably be best option? Is there a minimum length for braided cables to have an RFI attenuating effect as I'd only need 1ft for most of the kit?

Cheers.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    An 8-way gang in the fireplace would seem like a very good option (check out some of the Belkin Surgemaster range for that). We'll just take your word that you'll be doing a classy install around the back!

There isn't really a minimum length for the cables but I would consider having well-built cables is more important than worrying about the scientific details. Make sure that the total wire cross-section is adequate (ie. at least 1.5mm^2 for each conductor) and that the wires are securely terminated within your connectors. :)