1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Mains Cables - Advice?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by hutchingsp, Jan 21, 2003.

1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not a big believer in spending a fortune on esoteric mains cables, not really sure my equipment warrants it, but having read about the various DIY cables on the likes of TNT audio I'm tempted to give it a go.

Firstly, I'm not an electrician - is it pretty fair to say it's more or less as simple as getting some cable, some connectors, and wiring both ends correctly - i.e if I can wire a plug can I make a mains lead and know I'm not likely to fry myself?

Secondly, would someone suggest suitable parts from the likes of Maplin/CPC/Studiospares?

It seems there's a multitude of cables, I don't have a paper catalog, and looking on the website I don't even see IEC plugs?

As I see it, I'd need the appropriate amount of cable, and X 3-pin plugs (probably MK), and X IEC plugs, and a couple of IEC to figure 8 adaptors as I've also not seen figure 8 plugs separately.

TIA,
    Paul

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Hello...

I have successfully made up my own mains cables which I was so impressed with I sold some of the RA ones I had as well.

For the actual making them up.. just be careful and take your time. The hardest part was getting the wire into the MK plug as it is quite chunky. The IEC connector I used is the same as the wattgate one provided on some RA cables.. but costs less.. very very easy to wire up.

Heres what I bought :

Supra Lo-Rad cable £11.99 a metre from www.hifibitz.co.uk or [url]www.supradirect.co.uk[/url]

Manico 320 IEC plug (£19) and MK Silver Plated Tough plugs (£9) from www.audusa.com (they are based in kingston upon thames).

You can also get figure 8 connectors from audusa.

HTH

Matt

P.S so far I have made them for my DV88+ and Onkyo 898 amp :)