1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Mains cable bulk purchase - who wants some?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by RichardH, Feb 12, 2003.

1. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First of all, is this OK with the mods? I am not intending to make ANY profit on this, but it seems that there's interest in splitting a reel or two of that CY cable available from CPC, plus some other bits. Now, I know that it's available by the metre from Farnell, but it's a LOT more expensive, so this seems the way to go.

I was intending to get a 50m reel of the 3 core 1.5mm CY cable - see this link for a list of the available types. It seems that it's not available in 2 core for a TNT plaited cable, but I was also thinking of buying some of the thinner 3 core stuff to have a play with on that one - perhaps the .75mm or 1mm stuff.

I was also going to get some IECs (not super whizzy, but should be good enough for a start), and, if I can find thm, some figure 8s. Also a bunch of heatshrink, plus some ferrite rings. I wasn't going to bother with plugs, as these should be readily available, but if people want me to get them so they can have a full kit without getting off their bums, then am happy to do that too. (Note - I have just checked on the B&Q website, and they're cheaper on there than CPC so may be worth a trip to B&Q instead.
    One other thing - I was going to have a go with one of those 4 way plug things as per the TNT DIY Hydra - CPC do these too, so if anyone's interested....

So, in summary, here's the items I was considering getting - please shout if you want anything else.

CY 3 core 1.5mm cable
    CY 3 core 0.75mm cable
    Multiposition IEC socket
    IEC Socket
    Fig 8 (not found link yet)
    Shrinkwrap to suit
    Ferrite rings - probably the 16x14 would do the job, or maybe the 25x12 - what do you think?
    MK Toughplugs
    multiway plug

I'll post stuff out as cheaply as possible, and at cost. Once I have the stuff, I will be able to weight it and calculate, but it should be reasonably cheap, and I have plenty of Jiffy bags.....

Once I have some idea of what people want, I'll knock up an order form and shove it on my website - I'll have a better idea of prices then, too...

Richard

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I'd be interested, Richard (I started the darn DIY Mains Cable thread after all). Just figuring out my exact needs and I'll get back to you.

Thought about some sort of inlet filter at all ?

And now bumping this for others too.

Mike.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm in but I need to worik out what I want.

4. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whatever you fancy - I'm happy to order the lot together.

5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    Ok, you've piqued my interest ...
    If I have it in kit form then I know I'll do it but if I have to go out and get them.....

"If you pack them, they will come".....

Or something like that.....

:hiya:

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I should imagine this is fine.

Just checking with Spectre.

Tempting myself.:D

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Some other prices:

Maplin:

Telefunken 8 plug - 59p

IEC - £1.52

13mm heatshrink - £2.12 for 1m (though it does have text on which doesn't look that great).

The MK Toughplugs are £3.12 at B&Q stores.

8. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,613
    Yeah this is fine.

9. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

Thanks for putting in all of this effort, i'm sure everyone appreciates it.

Straight IEC sockets you have suggested look pretty good, and being 15A, should be able to handle large diameter cable.

From a purely construction point of view, I would think that 16x14 ferrites will be better than 25x12 as they have an internal diameter more closely matched to the cable - ie. 8.2dia cable in 10dia hole. However, I have to admit that i'm not sure of the differences electrically.

For heat shrink, what about CPC ref. CB0091266 over ferrites, and CPC ref. CBA-CTW9B566 for tidying ends of cables ? (sorry, can't do complicated links !).

For Fig8, we could go for CPC ref. CN0647266 ? or CN0647366 ? (sorry, not 100% sure which ref is which picture), although must admit that they are unlikely to accommodate the cable.

Will confirm when you've setup the order form, but provisionally I would like the following:

11m 3x1.5mm2 CY
    2No. straight IEC sockets
    1No. Fig8 socket
    5 or 10No. ferrite rings depending on whether one or two per cable
    1 or 2No. clip-on ferrites if possible

Regards

11. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right then chaps, looks like there's going to be enough interest. The Fig8 madhippy found I had also found, but couldn't work out the picture - thouight it was some bizarre double socket/plug combination. It will be the CN0647266 that's the one we want - note also that it comes in a 2 pack. I wondered if there was a better one in the full catalogue.
    One other thing - I could always order some bits in from Maplin too to get anything that looks better from there - for instance they do a fig 8 (code FT99H) which might be a beefier one than the CPC jobbie - ought to be at 69p for one, rather than 48p for 2.... If I do order from Maplin though, we'd need to get more than £30 worth to save the postage charge, as it would hike the prices up otherwise.

Have a look at the order form - it's not live at the moment - I'd just like some feedback on anything I've missed. If all looks OK, I'll get it live probably on Saturday morning (will post to let people know).

order form

12. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  13. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

Form looks good to me.

Regards

14. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rob - re Pirelli cable - do you know where to order it from? I can't see it listed on CPC, which is where we're intending to order from. Note that the single cable they show on TNT (Merlino) uses the SY verison of the cable we're looking at using - the only difference is that the SY has a steel braid, and is pretty inflexible, and the CY has a copper braid, and is therefore more flexible. Only pain is that the CY doesn't seem to come in 2 core for easiest plaiting, hence my suggestion of thinner 3 core cable.

Anyone interested in the 2.5mm cable? I'll stick it on the form anyway....

15. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    http://www.pirelli.co.uk/en_GB/cabl...d=England&provinceId=400119&cityId=-1&dType=3
    The link above should take you to dealers in the Herts area,I was specifically looking at this for the twisted snake diy jobbie an option I'm lookin at doing,local dealers in Southampton quoted about £100 for a 100m reel,the 1mm should be OK for the project.
    As you said the 0.75 would I suppose be suitable as an alternative RS quote it has a current rating of 6A,50m reel £34 maybe worth a go_Once twisted the cable could then be covered in aluminium tape and then covered with a suitable
    heat shrinkable sleeving,mmmn thats got me thinkin where will it end.:confused:
    Rob

16. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the fig 8 plug/socket was the olny one i could find in the cpc paper catolouge,much prefere it to the online version

17. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right then, boys and girls, we have a live form . You'll get an email with a summary of what you've said you want, so hopefully you'll remember. While I'm not asking for any money up front, I'd appreciate it if you do commit to what you've said you want, or I'll be a bit overloaded in the cable component department. I've added a field for your AVForums handle, so we should be able to see who everyone is.

We'll have to define a cutoff date, too, or this may go on for way too long. We'll see how it goes, but I'd think the end of the month is reasonable?

##EDIT - Let me know if you find any bugs!!##

Richard

18. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    [BUMP]
    Come on chaps, only Exeter Man and myself have committed to any cable so far....

19. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hello.

I have noticed a number of threads on DIY mains cables. I am very interested in giving my system a boost at what seems like a small cost. I do however have a few questions.

1. What expertise are needed to make these cables?
    2. What is the benefit? (Not too technical please)
    3. What plugs will go on the end? (ie, kettle plug, small fig 8....)

I think thats about, if I get the answers I hope to these questions, then I will be interested.

Thanks

Rob

20. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1 - Expertise. Ability to use a small screwdriver, wirestripper and pliers, plus maybe a hairdryer (for heating the shrinkwrap if you want to make it pretty). If you can wire a plug you can do it.

2 - Benefit. Basically, you are screening the mains cable. This should help give a cleaner power source to your equipment. I think this is where the improvement comes from. From comments that I have read, you may get clearer picture, or improved sound. I've not done it yet either, so can't guarantee anything. Have you read the TNT Audio stuff - look at the mains cable section.

3 - What plugs. Whatever you need! Most amps will have IEC ("Kettle lead"), and some DVD and CD players use the smaller Fig 8. I have a CD player which is hard wired, but well out of warrantee, so I may try replacing the lead on that.

I may try upgrading the kettle lead on my kettle to see if I get better cups of tea ;)

Hope this helps!

21. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi Richard H,

Thanks for the answers. I am now very interested. I understand that ferrite cores are going to be used to 'clean' the power supply? If this is the case, could I not just put ferrite cores around my existing cables, or will the homemade cables be of a higher quality that the standard ones?

Again, many thanks for the help.

Rob

22. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Frankly, I'm not sure. Those cable clamp cores might do the job, but for the extra few quid I'd say it's worth going the whole hog. I'll probably get a few spare IECs, shrinkwrap and ferrite cores in when I get the stuff, as we're bound to end up with some cable left over from that reel, so I might as well have a few "kits" ready to go for anyone who wants more.

23. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi Richard H,

That was quick!

I have 1 final question. Do you think I will see any benefits because I have to run my equipment off 'gangs' of plugs? I assume that they are of a poor quality and would therefore be a limiting factor.

Many thanks

Rob

24. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I'm going to use a couple of those multiplugs to make a 4 way Hydra type thing - see the TNT Hydra - however I'll just run the shielded cable from that, rather than doing a plait of indvidual cables as detailed there. The problem with the multiplugs is that they usually have pretty crappy connections between sockets, and if they have LEDs too, then so much the worse. You could replace the extension cable with the shielded stuff, but it will probably be the 4 way thing itself that's then the limiting factor.

25. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    RIGHT THEN YOU LOT

So far only myself and Exeter Man are up for this, and I want to get a deadline sorted, so if anyone else DOES want some, then please let me know.

Shall we say Wednesday the 5th as the deadline?

Richard

26. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Add my name to that list! PM me if you've not received my order

cheers steve

27. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    Richard, great work done here mate.

I've read the thread and looked at the form. I am now well and truly confused!!! Could you explain things to me as if you were talking to a hard of hearing 4 year old please!!!

I'm just confused as to what I need!

Also, I can't help but think these cables are braided, in which case, would 1 metre be long enough after the braiding?

Yours in confusion

28. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The braiding is a covering within the cable. You're right that there's a plaited design on TNT. Rather than splurging here, I've added an extra page on the site so you can refer to it there. Have a look at http://www.areyoulocal.com/CableOrderhelp.asp

Let me know if you need more help. The other items like multiplugs etc are there for those who want them. I may use a multiplug to attach 2 of the plaited jobbies to, as there will be more room to connect everything that way.

One other thing - the TNT page suggests using aluminium tape to wrap around the cables before they go into the ferite core - I've got a reel not doing anything, so anyone who orders cores will get a bit of alu tape sent out too (as long as I have some left).

EDIT - PS - that new help page has some stats on the likely dimensions of the plaited cables (based on my very scientific single test), for those wanting to go the sore hands route....

29. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to whiffle on...
    Been thinking about payment. I've never used PayPal, Nochex etc before, and had assumed that the costs would mean any saving would be lost. But can anyone give more advise? I'd only need to withdraw one amount once all the payments were in, so it wouldn't necessarily cost me much. Will it cost you guys though? Might be easier than loads of cheques etc flying around...

Any thoughts from Paypal/Nochex experts?

30. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16