1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Magnetic Shielding

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GidGrace, Jan 18, 2001.

1. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone out there know how magnetically shielding a loudspeaker works?

I was wondering if there was any potential for a bit of DIY shielding if I was willing to get the back off some speakers, as it would be more convenient to place them slightly nearer the TV but there is too much flux leakage and I get real bad colour distortion.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Have heard it is possible steel sheeting cut and bent to fit round the back of the driver magnets (tin can metal is fine use a magnet to make sure its steel and not alumininium which will have no effect). You could use a can itself if you can find one that fits. You only need to shield the sides after all( unless you have a very weird set-up)

Epoxy it onto the back of the speaker around the driver magnet.

This can be a bit hit or miss and speakers are very difficult to rebuild without them loosening and rattling in use. The alternative is something called mu-metal which is designed for magnetic shielding and is susequently very expensive and difficult to work (it needs to annealed if you distort it in any way otherwise it stops working)

Placing opposing magnets on the speakers can cancel out the field but this is very hit and miss and you could impair your drivers.

I know what you're thinking and so am I, "more trouble than its worth!".

3. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr D. Thanks for the advice - and I was thinking what you were thinking. I have taken the measure of rearranging my whole lounge around the speaker placement, but this means the TV set now sits in front of my french windows, which will be an annoyance for the summer.

Fortunately, I've just gotten a new stand for all the kit & TV which has good castors so moves easily (without scratching the parquet like the last one!) so I can move it as appropriate.

Do you know if I would do any damage to the TV if I left it sitting in the mag field (i.e. next to the speakers) while I had the doors open - even if I wasn't watching it?