1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY LCD TV cabinet with lift

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Coolhand, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Coolhand

Coolhand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In the neverending search for an AV setup that has the elusive WAF, I'm looking into getting cabinet that has a lift and swing mechanism for my LCD TV.
    I've found a few companies that make them to order but they cost around 4 to 5k which I think is a bit much for what it is. Basically I want to build something that has the same function as the 900810-5 model at www.inca-tvlifts.com.

Anyone got any experience of building this sort of thing themselves?

2. simch

simch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking at exactly this idea for a "blanket box" at the base of the bed with an lcd in it. I have a friend that does sets for TV programs and the like and he reckons it can be done using electric window set ups from cars! The weight fo the TV may mean it needs gearing down, but potentially you can use the whole regulator system off a car with a large side window, and just litterally attach the tv to a frame that raises and lowers as the window would.
    We also considered a balanket box opening electrically in the traditional sense with the tv panel hinged form the top, so as the box opens, the tv naturally hangs verticaly for viewing. Heights and angles are a little more important to get the proper viewing height etc.
    It should be feasible, and relatively cheap to get the mechanisms from a scrap yard. But it will depend on the size of the TV.

3. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    They actually did some thing like this on MTV's Pimp My Ride (don't laugh!).

They installed a 32" LCD in a pickup truck that went up and down using the same motor as is found in a limo for the driver screen (you know, the bit behind the drivers head that goes up and down with the blacked out window).

No idea of the costs tho.