1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Interconnects

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Stereo Steve, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After having much success with Cat5 speaker cables, I now feel the need to tinker with interconnects. Particularly seeing what my collection of QED Quinnex cables will be worth on Ebay!

I'm wondering what ideas people have used for simple interconnects? The QED ones seem to be coax cable with a decent plug. I'm thinking of using FT125 sat coax which is a bit bigger than CT100 and also has a copper shield around the outer conductor. Anyone have any comments on how this might sound/ perform in comparison to the QED? Seems the same thing to me, or are the QED conductors twisted?

I've also thought of cat5. Maybe taking 2 or 3 lengths for each conductor and then adding shrink wrap and an outer braiding.

Any ideas or links? I've looked at Venhous and TNT's sites and they are good but both promote quite involved teqhniques. I'd really just like to replace my QED's with something equally as good but at a few quid a pair.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds like very good plans to me. The FT125 is the same as CT125 just the Maplin variant. Bear in mind that solid cored wire can be a bit of a pain to work with.

Presumably you've read mylo's "Homebrew Leads" thread in the DIY section as that contains all of the technical detail you should need. :)

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Aha, no I hadn't, thanks. I'll get a coffee and have a peruse.

Cheers.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I made some up from large gauge solid silver craft wire (The type you use in jewellery making) for interconnects based on an Americans design. I'll try and find the article later and post.