1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Interconnects - Help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by The Thinker, May 27, 2005.

1. The Thinker

The Thinker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am making up a set of interconnects and have some questions.

I am using Shart co-ax cable (braided) and components (maplin...)

1; should I connect this shield to both ends or only one (directional cable etc), and if only one end, which one...???

2; the braid is quite thick and it is very difficult to twist it round enough into a thin single 'strand', for soldering onto the connector. Can I only attach a portion of the braid and trim off the rest?

Thanks

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Solder braid at both ends Thinker, this “semi-balanced” quasi directional is a load of “fairies at the bottom of garden” hype [IMHO & IME), Ive tried it no difference at all. Its just a piece of hype to sell cables and set them apart from each other.

Do a 2 point solder of braid, ie roll 2 pig tails from each side and solder each of those, small tip : when you have twirled the braid into a pig tail, snip off excess with scissors – makes a smaller solder point than one then “re-twirl” to a small nub – ie fitting barrell of RCA plug over.

HTHs

Check out the 2 point solder here in the WBT barrel at top picture :

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/ic.htm

3. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I did this, but had a hell of a job with the maplin recommended connectors for the shark cabling I was using - gave up in the end (I only really wanted it for routing in the wall, so ended up buying some interconnects instead). Basically the connectors weren't QUITE big enough for the cable and the effort of getting them on broke the centre core every time.

Cheers

Grge

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208