1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Infinite baffle subwoofers thread - links and pictures.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Mark Grant, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Mark

I've had a couple of IB subs but had to abandon them in favour of a more traditional sub because of resonance problems with the ceiling, have you tried one yet?

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Gary,

Is that another way of saying the Sub shook the ceiling bigtime :D

I have been 'researching' IB subs for ages- I want one :)

I plan on building an extension for an AV room as soon as my brother (expert buider) gets a spare month or two...

Will probably build an IB into the ceiling or maybe vent it through the wall to another room in the house, so less sound leakage outside through the roof, and might not shake the ceiling too much.

Mark.

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Yep!

My first effort was a sub in the loft hatch so that I didn't need to cut into the ceiling. This was just a single 15" driver facing down into the room. The hatch is about 3ft from the side and rear walls and about 5ft and 10ft from the other walls. A single driver is an ideal way to learn about Newton's 3rd law of motion, 'for each action, there's an opposite an equal reaction'. Basically the ceiling was flapping all over the place when I turned up the volume.

My second effort was dual 15" drivers mounted on opposite sides of a 18" square manifold box with a single vent down into the room. This time I cut a 15" hole in the ceiling in the rear corner of the room behind my listening position. This stopped the ceiling flapping from the force of the drivers moving but the ceiling still rattled with resonance. Also, I discovered that mounting the sub behind me wasn't such a good idea as there were problems with integrating the sub with the rest of the system.

In hindsight, I discovered that the best location for a ceiling mounted sub was in the front right had corner of the room behind the main speakers, this was a good compromise between room gain from the corner loading and having the driver in-line with the main speaker for integration, but given the resonance problem I decided to mount the speakers in a 16 ft^3 plinth beneath my settee. I'm still not completely happy, it's becoming clear that I need to have the sub on the same plane as my main speakers to get the best integration with the rest of the system. I would suggest that you mount your driver in a temporary enclosure and experiment with the location before cutting any holes, it may be a pain but it's worthwhile in the long-run.

Something else to bear in mind is that the sound of an IB is completely different to a normal sub, it's great for music but not so hot for HT, a sub with a higher Q is much more appropriate for HT where you need the 'punch' for the sound effects. I've gone back to a Servo 15 for HT use having previously had 2 of them and sold them.