DIY idiot needs help mounting PJ on ceiling

I'm in the middle of my install and just about to try mounting the PJ on the ceiling. I would be grateful for some install pointers before I muck it up completely.

My builders will be installing my projector screen in the ceiling void and once they have done this I will see how far down it extends. Below the screen will be my inwall M&K speakers.

In order to mount the projector on the ceiling, I understand that I need to start by finding the spot that is (1) between the min and max throw recommended by Infocus to ensure I can fill the screen; and (2) centres the lens with the screen. This sounds easy enough (famous last words!).

I'm a bit lost however by the offset and how to work out whether I can use a a mount that sits flush with the ceiling (wihich I would prefer so I can hide all cables) or one that extends lower down. How do I work this out :confused:

Is there anything else I should be thinking about or is this all there is to it?

Warpaint

Generally you have it right.

Is it an 96" wide screen or is that measurement a diagonal?

If it is 96" wide then I would put the front of the lens at a distance of around 14 feet from the surface of the screen. (right in the middle of the throw range).

A vertical offset of around 12" will be ok.

Owl screens have an adjustable drop distance. If the screen is recessed into the ceiling you will need to make sure that you can reach in to adjust the drop distance. It's normally done with an allen key but I can't remember the exact size. There is a large black border at the top of the viewing area (you can adjust this to around 24" but it can look a little odd).

Owl also make a 12v autoswitch which allows the screen to come down automatically when the projector is powered on.(and up when it's off) This will require a 2 core cable to go from the trigger output on the back of the projector (3.5mm jack) to the auto switch box. (bell wire will do) This box gets a mains feed and the screen gets its power from the box. It's around 10cm square and about 5cm high.

In Focus make a good ceiling bracket which is very low profile but it's a bit fiddly to adjust.

We also sometimes use the SMS aero/unislide brackets which are available in various different heights. They start at about 70mm but you will also have about 70mm of adjustable fixing on the projector as well. However they are completely adjustable to fit almost any projector and have a ball joint for alignment in all planes.

Hi Warpaint

Is it an 96" wide screen or is that measurement a diagonal?

It's a 110 diagonal tab tansioned screen.

If it is 96" wide then I would put the front of the lens at a distance of around 14 feet from the surface of the screen. (right in the middle of the throw range).
Putting it in the middle of the throw range is fine.

A vertical offset of around 12" will be ok.
Huh?

.....you will need to make sure that you can reach in to adjust the drop distance.......
Good point. I had not considered this. I'll make sure the builders leave me enough space to get to the screen to do this.

Owl also make a 12v autoswitch which allows the screen to come down automatically when the projector is powered on.(and up when it's off) This will require a 2 core cable to go from the trigger output on the back of the projector (3.5mm jack) to the auto switch box. (bell wire will do) This box gets a mains feed and the screen gets its power from the box. It's around 10cm square and about 5cm high.
The screen came with a Somfy remote, but I think I'd rather the 12v trigger route. Can I do the above with the Somfy?

In Focus make a good ceiling bracket which is very low profile but it's a bit fiddly to adjust.

We also sometimes use the SMS aero/unislide brackets which are available in various different heights. They start at about 70mm but you will also have about 70mm of adjustable fixing on the projector as well. However they are completely adjustable to fit almost any projector and have a ball joint for alignment in all planes.
Thanks. I'll have a look at them.

Thanks for your input.

Warpaint

I've just had a read of the reference manual for IN76.
The vertical offset is 115%
This means that the top of the projected picture will be 8.1" lower than the centre of the lens for a 96" wide picture.
(with the In Focus ceiling mount this would be a total of approx 13")

This is assuming ceiling mounted position.

I'm not familiar with the Somfy remote you mention. Presumably it controls an extenal box which the screen connects to. You would probably need the 12v autoswitch box instead of the Somfy box.

If I recall correctly the Tab tensioned screens remain at their flattest when they are fully extended, so I would wait and see how far the drop distance is before doing anything else.

(We have a 96" diagonal Owl tab tensioned screen in our smaller demo room)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom