DIY: How does a drill depth ruler work?

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Hey All...

I have had a few drills over the years & all of them have come with what I think is called a depth ruler (or maybe gauge).

They usually have a slot on the drill that they fit into.

However I am not sure how they work?

Do you use the by drilling a hole & then manually putting it in the hole to check the depth?

Or is there away of using them while drilling the hole?

I tend to just measure the depth I need on the drill bit & then wrap some electrical tape round that point.

Apologies if this is a dumb question?

Shared

I think they're meant more as a "stop", If you want to drill to a depth of 2" you adjust the guide to 2" shorter than the drill bit so that it contacts the wall, timber etc when you've reached that depth.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Measure how deep you want the bit to go and whack some insulation tape around the drill bit itself.

I've had dozens of drills that come with a drill mounted depth stop and they go straight in the bin.

I also wrap coloured electrical tape (or even masking tape) around the drill bit to use as an eye-line for depth limiting purposes. I've never bothered either with rulers or the depth guide which usually comes with the drill.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
I also use a bit of tape, or chalk if I've got some.

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
I use the tape approach as well but always wondered if they were easy to use and I was just missing something. I have to say none of the descriptions I have seen on here have made me think they are better than the tape approach.

Thanks for the responses

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
I use the depth gauge and find it easy to use and get right. I just hold the drill bit to the wall and then "insert" the rawlplug between the wall and the bar-stop on the gauge and adjust the length accordingly. Simples.

Shared

I use the depth gauge and find it easy to use and get right. I just hold the drill bit to the wall and then "insert" the rawlplug between the wall and the bar-stop on the gauge and adjust the length accordingly. Simples.

I find them easy to use as well, especially if there's repetition :)

Trending threads

Top Bottom