Quantcast

DIY Home Theatre Cabinet ( the rack version )

PaulDavidThomas

Well, I couldn't find anything I wanted, so I bought two sheets of MDF and did a cut list. Screwed most of it together tonight ( MDF Screws ).

Basically, I wanted AV Amp/Receiver to the left. Amps in the middle and Gadgets / Players to the right.

Tomorrow I'll get the trim to make it look pretty and then I can sand/fill and paint. I'll paint a dark ( ish ) colour and finish with a 10% sheen laquer that will protect it from .. well, from me. I put anything down, anywhere !

The one thing I did want is to ensure I've got an 8U rack in the middle for my Crowns and Power Conditioner. In the end I made it so I can put 8U's in all of the three openings.

I've made it so the rear is fairly open, which means I can route cables ( power in one area, signal / HDMI / speakers in another ) After painting I will also drill a set of holes in the base to assist airflow. I'm going class D amps, so it should not be too much of an issue.

Attachments

PaulDavidThomas

Well, I've been playing mission impossible attempting to find some "sash beads" to line the openings before I fit doors. None of my normal suppliers have any. The end result is that you will have what I think is called a 'cock bead'. You can do it with a router and appropriate bit, but I can't be bothered setting up my router.

PaulDavidThomas

Filled and painted. Some doors have been made ( to the left ).

So, just need to get some laquer on it and I can then put the gear inside. Oh bugger. Need to do something for shelves left and right.

5mm holes should do the trick with those things you use in kitchen cupboards - can't remember what they are called.

Attachments

gibbsy

5mm holes should do the trick with those things you use in kitchen cupboards - can't remember what they are called.
Nice job. Are these what you're thinking about.

PaulDavidThomas

Nice job. Are these what you're thinking about.
Shelf support pegs... Yep, that's the name - I'd forgot what their called !! I'll get the ones with a rubber or plastic coating on the load side, to resist scratching of any timber I use for the shelves.

gibbsy

Shelf support pegs... Yep, that's the name - I'd forgot what their called !! I'll get the ones with a rubber or plastic coating on the load side, to resist scratching of any timber I use for the shelves.
The ones in my cabinet are coated currently holding a 10.3kg 4K player. I'm not clever enough to build my own, now swinging a sledge or large axe at them, well, I'm your man. :)

PaulDavidThomas

The ones in my cabinet are coated currently holding a 10.3kg 4K player. I'm not clever enough to build my own, now swinging a sledge or large axe at them, well, I'm your man. :)
I'll book you in then :) If you're in the New Forest area email me and I'll point you in the correct direction. The wife says she's had enough of cutting !!

Attachments

gibbsy

I'll book you in then :) If you're in the New Forest area email me and I'll point you in the correct direction. The wife says she's had enough of cutting !!
Sorry I forgot to mention I'm far too old now......I was your man.

Lovely skill you have though.

PaulDavidThomas

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm far too old now......I was your man.

Lovely skill you have though.
Not so quick my lad... This is my 85 year old father two days ago ...

Parents asked for 100m2 of patio to be put down... And they always come out to help. This morning I had an additional two tonnes of pavers I had to collect and unload. They were out helping unload. I was stupid ( but you will see not as stupid as dad ) and stood inside the pallet as I unloaded the slabs and passed to parents, half empty the pavers slipped onto my leg... That was ouchy.

Dad did fall off the garage roof two months ago (he was gardening), but he was ok, because he bounced a the 6 foot brick wall and landed in the neighbours garden... We're a hardy family ! Some would say stupid. I might go with the latter !

Attachments

gibbsy

Kudos to your father, hope you buy him something nice for Christmas. My 68 year old mate and my 45 year old son layed a large stone patio in the summer for me. Bet they wished they could have laid it on a nice flat piece of New Forest and not the side of a Welsh mountain.

PaulDavidThomas

Well, I got it finished in the end. Two sheets of 18mm MDF, one length of OGee skirting and some 9mm to make the doors.

I've got to put some shelves in for normal stuff - just ordered a proper DVD player and Shield TV Pro.

I've left the back open, so it doesn't get hot.

Power Conditioner ( second hand ) acts as my power strip and also has a light to the rear for when I'm plugging stuff in.

Attachments

PaulDavidThomas

The only change I would make is to increase the height of the unit by 8mm to allow easier access to the lowest right rack screw hole.

A couple of my working drawings if your interested.

Attachments

Trending threads

Top Bottom