1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY home cinema and a lounge in one room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Dominic, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought it about time i posted some details of my cinema, which has been created by converting my lounge, i know ultimately i need a dedicated room but given the current 70's theme going round ive managed to convince the wife of a reasonable colour scheme to accomadate my kit, whilst still letting her think its a normal sitting room by day.

let me know your thoughts,

my home cinema

might inspire other people who havent got the luxury of large basements, sheds or garage conversions.

Dom

2. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nice room Dom, looks great. If the oak arch went on with gripfill I presume you won't be hanging any doors on there any time soon?

3. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the arc is architraive (sp) the actual door linings are machined oak and are fixed with frame fixings and then plugged with oak plugs so as to hide them. They are like any other door opening. although at the moment i like the open plan feeling, and the roller blinds knock out about 95% of the light if i need to.

thanks for the comments

4. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Looks good.
    What were the biggest problems in having to have a room that has 2 purposes.I noticed you have the eggs,which when the room is a standard living room look kinda akward.Did you have any other options?

Apart from that,its a great idea.Well done.

5. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    paul

i guess its a compromise, the front centre egg does look a little lonley on the the screen wall, but only when the room is being used as a lounge, once the screen is down and the lights are down it looks quite comfortable.
    The issue here is it should sit on a fire suround or something simular so as not to attract too much attention during the day, but because i wanted a 2m screen it meant it comes down too low to put in a fireplace/surround. The other eggs look neat, as you can see all the cables are hidden so they look tidy.
    On a project of this size the main problem was the mess. I had to take the ceiling out and all the walls were channel out for cables. but once replastered the whole thing comes together.

colours and lighting are a big issue, so i went for a 2 tone room, with the screen wall as a dark chocolate feature wall. apart from being colours that are quite popular they work for both solutions. The dark brown helps to absorb light from the projector and the result is a really impressive image on the screen, because your eyes dont get distracted, the main room colour of Dulux treacle delight isnt too bright when watching films and works well during the day.
    like all things in life the whole room is a compromise, if i had things completely my way the 32" tv would be in another room and that space would be my equipment rack, and the carpet would be a darker colour, etc etc.

my only other option was to build a large shed/extension, but the local council and MR building regs wanted me to dig 3m footings becuase my neighbour has a line of fir trees at the end of my garden, the plans for that room were looking great before it was put on hold thanks to the regs. I hadnt budgeted for such a large amount of ground work on single storey extension, it sent the costs too high. It still may happen, but not while i have 2 young children to bring up. :mad:

thanks for the comments always nice to hear other peoples views.

Don

6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I really like that. Well done.

I know what it is like trying to persaude the other half that a combined living room and home cinema can work as I had been trying for years until she finally submitted this year.

I would also love to have a dedicated room but I think that a compromise can work almost as well and that in a modern looking and well thought out living room, a home cinema can be quite unobtrusive....and then when the screen is down and the lights are off..... :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,092
    Just as an aside,

At what point does a DVD player plus screen (plasma, CRT, LCD, projector, whatever) become a Home cinema?

Because to be honest, with the lights down I get a better picture and sound on a 17" Relisys LCD 16:9 TV at the foot of my bed than at the local flicks :D

Dave

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Well when I first got into home cinema (about 15 years ago .....god I feel old now :( ) the argument was that anything that was not front projected onto a screen was not home cinema !!

I still think that a lot of people feel that is the case but it is probably the subject of another discussion :smashin:

9. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,092
    That's a fair definition Cleric, thanks, sorry for the diversion, back on topic:

We have a home cinema in the living room because it seems the best use of space. Rather like folks who have a dedicated dining room or the dreaded Victorian Parlour/ front room that gets used 3 times a year, a dedicated home cinema (only) room seems like a waste of real estate. Of course that's because I don't have oodles of free space :D

Dave

10. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    cleric

thanks for the comments, just viewed your setup, looks pretty dam good too. I know what you mean about the fine line between lounge and dedicated room, i think yours does the job very well. btw that screen looks HUGE. the bigger the better i say.

hopefully this thread will inspire a few more other half's to give in to the whole cinema thing.

Like you a cinema doesnt really have an impact until its got some sort of front projection. Over the years ive been moving up the CRT Tv size range, but nothing can amaze you like the 1st night in front of an 8 foot film :clap:

Dom

11. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I couldn't agree more. I still get a buz from seeing friends faces when they first walk into the living room and see the screen with either a movie or game playing :D

A neighbour was over a few weeks ago that had not seen it and the kids were playing on the XBox...he went into the room to see what they were playing and all I heard was him shout at the top of his voice "SWEEEEET JEEEEESUS!!!!!". He then ran back into the kitchen saying "where the hell can I get one of THOSE from?" :rotfl:

12. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    macready

good point about the WOW factor, most of my mates have now seen the install and if it wasnt for their wifes im sure would have one yesterday.
    but theres a nice feeling when someone sees a decent PJ for the 1st time and spend the entire evening trying to convince his better half for something simular. One of my mates has done it... and its like a mirror image of my room.. flatering a guess but lacks inspiration,, he has chosen EXACTLY the same as mine, based on what i like...

problem is after a while you run out of people to impress..... still, a new neighbour has moved in and i have preped him, but he hasnt seen it yet, just need to invite him his 3 kids ( xbox) and wife round for a viewing, and pass the bug onto him.

its all great fun.

dom

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

I know what you mean, my mates now say to me have you done anything more to your room or added any new equipment etc. Any excuse to get in there and have prolonged demos etc.l

I am so glad i have an understanding wife :)

14. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Lol, me too :smashin:

I know what is like..know someone who does pretty much the same :rolleyes: