DIY Hell

NM20

Prominent Member
Reaction score
O.k, I am no DIY expert, but i am a bargain hunter. I want to build the best possible sub, but with minimum effort.

Suggestions for drivers and amps are welcome. Also alongside any enclosures.

I currently own an SVS 20-39 pc+ and if I upgrade to a retail unit I would probably get an XTZ 3X12, so need something that outclasses those.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416513427.918484.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416513455.450140.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416513474.271293.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416513494.170441.jpg

You could always take these off my hands [emoji2]

O.k, I am no DIY expert, but i am a bargain hunter. I want to build the best possible sub, but with minimum effort.

Suggestions for drivers and amps are welcome. Also alongside any enclosures.

I currently own an SVS 20-39 pc+ and if I upgrade to a retail unit I would probably get an XTZ 3X12, so need something that outclasses those.
depends how much space you've really got, do you have a floor plan of your room?

if you have bags of space & your budget is the £1k or so you mentioned earlier then 2 big cabinets with an 18" driver in each would mean you can get away with a relatively weak amplifier and still show those 2 subs the door.

Basically as the space you give to the subs goes down then, all other things being equal, the power requirement goes up & the absolute max spl achievable also goes down somewhat.

That looks lovely.

What sort of specs are we looking at? I.e how big?

My room is 7m x 4m with a pitched roof that is 2.5m high at its maximum.

Would the dual opposed with two 15' drivers be a good call?

Just look at the finish on James's subs they are bootiful:love: is that just 1 James or do you have 2, what drivers are they and size of enclosure.

You could always take these off my hands
emoji2.png
did you build them for Dan? ISTR him showing a pic of those ages ago. V nice anyway.

Would the dual opposed with two 15' drivers be a good call?
how big is your listening position? single seat or multiple seats? if you have a larger seating area then going for multiple subs distributed around the room is the way I'd go.

Having said that, it's quite a big room so you need a fair bit of sub to fill it. First mode will be at ~25Hz as well so I would strongly suggest steering clear of a ported sub (e.g. the 3x12) as the combination of the output from the port + your room mode will produce a v v bottom heavy output. Simulating the room will be a guesstimate at best because of the pitched roof though.

I thought I had seen them somewhere before Matt, it was Dan's subs, so should sound good then, I think it was a pair IIRC.

The pitched roof is a pain.

O.k. So i need sealed. Hence why the SVS is very bottom heavy and little mid/upper bass. Is that correct?

What drivers should I get for the enclosure if I buy from James?

They are a pair of dual opposed, took SI 15s but would take FI q no doubt, they are dans but out of action due to house moves, would be selling them on his behalf if they were to go

I thought I had seen them somewhere before Matt, it was Dan's subs, so should sound good then, I think it was a pair IIRC.

Keith, good to hear from you. Your opinion when it comes to subs is always highly valued.

You had an SVS 20-39, how does your DIY compare?

O.k. So i need sealed. Hence why the SVS is very bottom heavy and little mid/upper bass. Is that correct?
tbh the SVS you have is bottom heavy and with little upper bass irrespective of your room :)

will you rename the thread to DIY Heaven when you find a solution btw? :beer:

What drivers should I get for the enclosure if I buy from James?
what is the volume of the enclosure? I would say there are a few reasons to go for something different

1) ISTR they were relatively small for 2 drivers & you have a big room
2) do you want a white box in a dedicated room?
3) we need some moar giant subwoofers around here

Just going out for a pint Neil so will get back to you tomorrow.:)

I will rename the thread,but I bet I never finish it...

Couldn't I respray the enclosure? Because you are correct, bright white won't go.

What sort of size do I need for my room?

Oh dear. What have I done!

What sort of size do I need for my room?
difficult to say, how much space do you actually have?

to give an example, here is a single SI HT 18 in 100L (orange) or 200L (yellow). 3dB advantage at 20Hz to the bigger box which is the equivalent, roughly, in output terms of 2 separate 100L subs. Roughly speaking, a 4dB difference is perceived as twice as loud at 20Hz so that's quite a lot of output "for free".

upload_2014-11-20_21-28-31.png

It really comes down to what space do you actually have? how will that interact with your room? how loud do you like to listen?

alternatively sod all that, buy 2 SI HT 18 from the states + an inuke 6000 + get 2 200L boxes made for them and paint them black (probably about £1k total cost), plonk them in your room and fiddle until you get it right :)

"alternatively sod all that, buy 2 SI HT 18 from the states + an inuke 6000 + get 2 200L boxes made for them and paint them black (probably about £1k total cost), plonk them in your room and fiddle until you get it right"

What Matt said there makes the best sense or if those are too big substitute for 2 x 75/100 ltr boxes and get 2 x 15 drivers and Inuke 6000.This won't cost that much less but will still give immense low bass with a big kick in the mid bass region that will make your current system look rather sick but in a smaller package.

This won't cost that much less
Fwiw it will likely cost more, the SI HT 18 drivers are ridiculously cheap even after import fees. 2 are not much more than one new Q15 for example. They prefer a decent sized box though.

How difficult is it to insert the drivers. Is it just a case of sliding them in and adding some screws?

James, what are the capacity and footprint of your enclosures? I assume they are for 15' drivers not 18'.

Also how will it compare to your USC 15 Matt?

Not sure without measuring them but if you have a black dedicated room forget it, was only a suggestion. If your struggling with diy I could always make new ones for you. What ever you go for from what's been discussed will blow you away compared to what you have now.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

"This won't cost that much less but will still give immense low bass with a big kick in the mid bass region that will make your current system look rather sick but in a smaller package.

Do you mean sick as in my current system will be 'sick as a parrot' or as the kids say these days 'that SVS is well sick'

Not sure without measuring them but if you have a black dedicated room forget it, was only a suggestion. If your struggling with diy I could always make new ones for you. What ever you go for from what's been discussed will blow you away compared to what you have now.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

I live north of Doncaster, near Pontefract. Not a million miles from you.

If you could help with a design and creation I would certainly be interested. Couldn't I just get the current enclosures resprayed?

You could but it seems a shame after all the money that went into them to make them how they are, if you want to experience the Si 15" drivers feel free to come over some time

I'm also loving my Dual SI 15's, the only issue I have now is figuring out room EQ with a Mini DSP, and I have so much bass that my Optoma HD33 goes out of very slightly out focus during large bass scenes.

I think I need to tape the focus ring in place, as it really doesnt look good on a Windows desktop after a bass heavy film :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom